Food Fun

I don't remember ever being told not to play with my food as a kid, so maybe that's why I think it's fun to try different things with my food.  I am hoping to post with some regularity (read, when I try something cool and remember to take pictures) about fun things we try with food.  

First, what would summer be without smoothies?  And as much as I love Jamba Juice, with lots of little people that gets expensive in a hurry, so we make our own.  I found the recipe to make these, here, and we all loved them!  The kids asked if we could have them every day if that gives you any indication of how good they were.
It was a great way to add some oats into our diet.  For those of you who have dairy issues, we did substitute unsweetened almond milk for Bitsy, and it tasted great.  I doubled the recipe so we could all have plenty, and there wasn't much more in the blender then what you see here.  I got the cute straws at Pier 1's summer clearance.

Later in the week, I came across this idea, and knew I had to try it!  Since we had postponed our Family Home Evening because of 4th of July, and I had a watermelon on hand, I made it in about fifteen minutes, and we had a fun treat for our delayed Family Night.
The tutorial on Sun Scholars was amazing, and it was so fun and easy.  I let Manly color my tray since he was awake, but putting the plastic wrap on actually made the ink smear, and gave it a very cool water effect.
I didn't have Jello or Swedish Fish, so we just refilled him with chunks of watermelon (because I don't have a melon baller).  I used a big spoon to scoop out most of the inside, before cutting it into pieces.  I imagine we will be revisiting our shark when we have a lesson on Jonah for Family Home Evening, and when we read Pinocchio again.  It was a lot of fun, and the kids begged to grab some food from the shark.

Our final food creation for this time is our Muffin Tin Meal.  I was originally introduced to the idea over at Counting Coconuts, but if you are really like the idea, I suggest you head here for all the inspiration you could ever want.  I am planning on doing a monthly Muffin Meal to go along with that month's school theme, and being July, this month's was "Red, White, and Blue". 
 







Manly had stars, and Bitsy had circles, and I thought it was fun to have the muffin tins match the theme, but most of the time they won't.  In this month's we had blueberries, yogurt, strawberries, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and chicken, and strawberry swirl cheesecake.  To say they were well received would be an understatement.  Both of them think I should serve all of their meals every day in the muffin tins.  The best part was, it was easy and fun.

So, do you have any fun food ideas?  Leave a comment, and share with us!

bwrightbrizee  – (July 10, 2011 at 6:59 PM)  

Wish I was there to share shark melon!!! Found some interesting childrens cookbooks - will send them to you.

Rachel at Sun Scholars  – (July 11, 2011 at 11:28 PM)  

That is awesome! I am so excited to see your shark! I bet it was a huge hit! :)

Abby  – (July 12, 2011 at 1:14 AM)  

Rachel, It was a huge hit! Thanks so much for dropping by and for the inspiration. The kids are still talking about it!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP