Canning

Maybe I'm crazy, but there's some part of me that resonates with Laura Ingalls Wilder, I can't get enough of the "Little House" books, and luckily Bitsy loves them too.  While I don't recall Laura ever talking about the canning process, she describes in great detail the satisfaction of seeing the food all put up for the winters, and I have to say, it is a beautiful thing.  I'm very sporadic in my canning, and I've done all kinds of things from fruit and jams to meat.  Honestly my favorite way to can is with other women, because I love the camaraderie.  Just this week I fed little Lettie a jar of apricot puree I made with my sweet mother in-law and sister in-law before we left Utah.  The apricots came from my sister in-law Missy's tree, and I actually started to cry a little as I thought of that experience canning, and the love that our family shares, even though we're so far away.    

I guess all of that was just a really long intro to my most recent canning experience.  Last week I canned 16 pounds of ground beef, and six pints of pickles.  


I like to can the beef because then it is cooked and ready to throw into a meal without thawing, which makes dinner so much easier, and the pickles, well, I had never done them before and I wanted to give it a try since we had so many cucumbers from our CSA.  The pickles were actually really easy, and loads of fun.  I love seeing the finished jars of all the food, it just makes me happy.

I love seeing the food all done, and if you are interested at all in canning, I highly recommend dropping by The Prudent Homemaker.  She has great canning recipes, and tons of resources about canning, as well as loads of other information!

bwrightbrizee  – (August 10, 2011 at 7:58 PM)  

Pickles look yummy. I need to give you Grammie Hare's limewater pickle recipe. :-))

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP