Sunday Reflections

I'm not sure I have adequate words to explain my thoughts today, but I hope somehow the spirit of what I am trying to say will get through.

This week I had the chance to talk to a very dear friend, and as usually occurs after talking with her I reflected for a while on our conversation.  I have no way to tell you what a strength and blessing she is in my life, this woman is just so dear to me!  Her husband is away for work for an extended period of time, and their home is in a flood zone in the path of Hurricane Irene, so I wanted to call her and let her know we were thinking of her, and to make sure she was okay.  She has four beautiful children, the youngest of which is just a few weeks younger then Lettie, and just thinking about her going through this alone was overwhelming to me.  

As I talked with her I came to some realizations, the first was that while I often think, "If I was in that situation, I would just fall apart," that's actually not true.  I moved across the country in the middle of winter with a newborn, and two small children!  The truth is most of us are stronger than we realize.  That led to my next thought.  I am so grateful to know that that strength comes from my Savior!  As I talked to my friend she repeatedly said, "God will take care of us."  I know that she knows that is true, and while I don't know everything that she had packed up in the car, I know there was scripture in that car, and I know there was prayer all along the journey.  

The experience reminded me of a line from one of my favorite songs "Sometimes He Calms the Storm" by Julie De Azevedo, "Sometimes He calms the storm, and sometimes He calms the child."  This week the Master choose not to calm the storm, but just as He calmed Peter, I saw Him calm my beautiful friend, and I know that He can calm us too!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP