Water Wall

Last week my sweet husband helped me finish up a project I had cooked up after seeing this post at The Imagination Tree.  I'll admit, she's a lot more adventurous in letting her girls play in the mud, then I would be, but I LOVED the idea!!!  My kiddos love to pour water on everything, and dig up holes and tell me they're "cooking", so I knew this would be right up their ally.  Now, pictures.

 So my sweet husband took apart an over the door rack that one of our neighbors was going away, and zip tied it to our fence.  Then he drilled holes into different containers and zip tied then to the fence and the rack for me, so they would stay in place and we can do this:

 The kids love pouring the water into their top container, and watching it pour down the three levels.  Now, lest you think I am patient and willing to keep refilling their containers of water, I will explain our bottom level.  The red and green bowls are zip tied to the outside of the rack, so they can be lifted like Manly is doing below.
 This way the collected water can be poured back into the original bucket, and the whole process can begin again.  They both loved doing this.  I'm hoping to get a container like this to use with just water, so they can refill their buckets on their own.  Of course I love the bubble idea too, and I'm hoping to get one for that as well.  :)
Now, we also put the other half of the rack on the other side of the corner, and that has become the beginning of our own outdoor kitchen. 
 During the first day we had this set up Bitsy started calling Manly "Farmer" and had him gathering wheat and barley, which was really just grass from our yard.  She mixed it in pots and made soup, and bread.  She also used her board and some of the water wall water to "wash" clothes she had brought outside.  The clothes were just scraps of fabric from my scrap bag.  After they were washed, she used the board to iron them as well.  We're slowly collecting more kitchen supplies for our outdoor kitchen.
I loved seeing them work together, and enjoy doing their domestic activities outside.  


Mama Jodi  – (April 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM)  

My kids would go nutty over this. Great idea.

Abby  – (April 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM)  

Thanks! I hope you have lots of fun with it!

Mackenzie  – (April 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM)  

SO fun! I must show my husband and see what we can find around the house to make a water wall on a HOT summer day! Thanks for your great ideas! :) Thank you for linking up at Saturday Show & Tell, hope to see you back next week! :)
Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

Mackenzie  – (April 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM)  

You've been featured this week again on Saturday Show & Tell... you just have great ideas, I have to share them! ;)

Abby  – (April 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM)  

Thanks Mackenzie! I hope you have a lot of fun with it!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP