A Scripture To Live By

When you walk through our front door, you will be greeted by a collage of family photos.  In the center is a copy of a scripture from the Book of Mormon (1 Nephi 8:12) that has become our family motto.

When you sit down at a meal with us you will have a full stomach, usually a good conversation, and in addition to seeing my sweet family, you will see these beautiful pictures, and this wooden plaque with that same scripture on the wall.  The pictures are of a few of the Temples we have been to, and the picture is an artists rendering of the scripture we have chosen as our motto, but the plaque, that's what touches me most.
That plaque is one of my most cherished possessions.  You can't find another one like it, because it was made by hand for me by my sweet husband as a Christmas gift last year.  He did everything from cutting the wood, to hand writing the verse out for me.  I cried when I opened it.

You see, just before Christmas in 2005 Steve and I found our selves in two separate countries for the second time since our marriage, not quite two years earlier.  I was in California, he was in Iraq.  We wanted Christmas to be special, and we wanted to feel close half a world away.  I had been in a Relief Society training (that's the woman's organization in our Church) where they had talked about setting goals, and choosing a scripture to base your goals on, and when Steve and I talked about it we decided it would be a great idea for us.  So, we read scriptures, and prayed separately, and during our next precious phone call we decided that we wanted that scripture to guide our family.  

I typed it up and put it in the center of our family photo collage, that at that point had empty places waiting for the children we hoped to someday add to our family, and through the years those places have been filled, and we have striven to make this teaching the center of our home.
We have had our souls filled with the joy that comes from having Christ's gospel at the center of our lives, and as we add more sweet children to our family, our desire grows for them to also partake of that sweet fruit.  In our family this scripture helps us remember that we want our family, past, present, and future to be together eternally.  Because of that it is important for us to teach our children so that they can live righteous lives, but also so they can teach their children to do the same.  It also means we need to seek out the generations who have gone before us, we need to learn of their lives and testimonies of our Savior, and provide them with the blessings of the gospel.  We need the hearts of the children turned to the fathers, and the hearts of the fathers turned to the children, and all of those hearts need to be turned to Christ. (Malachi 4:6)

Five years after that Christmas when our scripture was chosen, and just days after our third child was born, my husband gave me that sweet reminder of our family motto, and when I look at it I am grateful that I have received Christ and his Church into my life, and I desire for our family to partake of the fruit together, forever.

JRoberts  – (September 12, 2011 at 2:43 PM)  

That is beautiful. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing today.

Chocolate on my Cranium  – (September 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM)  

This is a beautiful story! And your scripture is terrific.

Marmee  – (September 12, 2011 at 10:25 PM)  

This is the most beautiful story! Thank you for sharing it with us! After reading these links, I know that our next step is to find a family scripture!

Tracy  – (September 12, 2011 at 11:48 PM)  

I love this idea & and the scripture. Beautiful story--thanks so much for sharing!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP