The Proclamation- Application

This is my family.  We are all together at the temple in Newport Beach, CA.  We are extremely happy!

Unfortunately this isn't a portrait of our daily family life.  Don't misunderstand, we are all happy and healthy, but, daddy is in the military, so quite often our "family portrait" is missing one member.  In the Family Proclamation we are reminded that families can be together forever, that children should be reared in love and righteousness, that each parent has a sacred responsibility in the home, and that we should seek the help of extended family as necessary.  We are also told that our individual circumstances may require adaptation.

I KNOW that because my husband and I were sealed in the Temple, those three beautiful children (and any more the Lord blesses us with) will be with us forever!  I KNOW that sometimes with all of our moving, and daddy's training and deployments life can seem hard for our children, (and let's be honest, for mommy and daddy too!) but as long as we are having daily family prayer and scripture study, and weekly family home evening, and hourly hugs and kisses, and sticking together they will have love and righteousness surrounding them.  I KNOW that my husband and I each have sacred roles, and that just because he isn't physically in our home doesn't mean he isn't still the Priesthood holder who presides here.  Sometimes it is more difficult to fulfill his role, and we do have to adapt, but through letters, emails, and phone calls we can still counsel together, he can still teach our children, and I challenge anyone to argue that he isn't fulfilling his role as our family's protector.  I KNOW that our extended family is important, they offer me shoulders to cry on, they give support, they include us in family activities when daddy is gone, and all of this when they are hours, if not days away.  I also know that in our circumstances extended family sometimes means friends from church and the neighborhood, and I am grateful that the Proclamation reminds us that it's okay to allow others to serve us.

You know those people you meet who think they are the exception to the rule?  I'm not one of them!  Our circumstances may be different than most, but the principles still need to and can be applied.  (And, let's be honest, doesn't every family have something going on that could make them feel that they are the exception to the Proclamation?)  

The Proclamation isn't just a pretty piece of paper hanging on our wall, although it does make a lovely decoration, it is guidance from our Father in Heaven that effects our lives every day!  It is the reason we live our lives the way we do, and it is why we work so hard to keep our family strong.  I am so grateful that the Lord has given us these beautiful directions, and the blessing of an eternal family.

openid  – (September 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM)  

You will gain strength beyond what you ever thought imaginable through these years your husband is serving! I honor you for your courage and independence, yet commitment to marriage and family!

Stephanie Bishop  – (September 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM)  

The above is me:

Stephanie Bishop

I have another blog at:

theanimalshaveescaped.com

bwrightbrizee  – (September 22, 2011 at 7:18 PM)  

I'm so proud of your special family - and glad that I'm a part of it (even though it's the days away part right now). I love you all very much.
Marmee

PS - I see the black church shoes aren't on the feet. Hope that the pink ones fare better!! :-))

Chocolate on my Cranium  – (September 23, 2011 at 2:02 PM)  

I'm so glad you mentioned about being an "exception" to what applies. Yes, we could all find an exception for not following the counsel, but there's that little line "Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations." to help keep us in check and strive for the ideal rather than the exception.

Jocelyn Christensen  – (September 24, 2011 at 9:49 AM)  

Another excellent post! Thank you so much for sharing your testimony with all of us through your blog!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP