September 11th

I don't think there is an American anywhere who can't remember where they were and what they were doing on September 11, 2001.  I don't think there is anyone who can forget the emotions that we all felt, from profound sorrow, to fear, and anger.  The unity that was felt across America was palpable.  

I wish I had some grand lesson to share with you from that horrific event, but I don't.  If you are looking for profound lessons, I encourage you to read this post in the Washington Post on the spiritual rebuilding this experience allowed, it is written by the head of our Church, Thomas S. Monson.  I would also recommend reading what Jocelyn over at We Talk of Christ, shares about September 11th, here, she has a truly beautiful perspective.  I am grateful to have been able to learn from others.

While I don't have a grand lesson, there are a few things that I do know.  I know that anger is easy, and forgiveness is hard.  Forgiveness is hard because it involves work, and humility, admitting that that the Lord Jesus Christ is the only judge.  Anger doesn't involve much more than festering.  I know that family is important, and that the time we have with them in this life is fleeting.  And, I know that in times of joy, and times of pain God is faithful, if we just seek Him. 

To the families of those who were lost on that day, I express profound sympathy, and to those who have or are currently serving to protect our freedom, and their families, I express my profound gratitude.  You all have sacrificed so much more than many can ever understand.

I hope that throughout this day, and throughout our lives we will focus on the things that are truly important, our relationship with our families, and our relationship with God.  May God bless us, and may God bless America.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP