Cookies and Covenants


I had a bit of a rough day Thursday, well, really it started Wednesday, and it extended into Friday, but I think Thursday was probably the low point.  Among other things on Thursday I realized that I no longer had one sick child, I had two, and the third is still questionable.  

I teach the Relief Society lesson on the 4th Sunday of the month, but this month I had been moved back to the 5th Sunday.  I thought I was going to be picking Steve up that day, so I had switched with the sister who was to teach this Sunday.  As it turns out he's going to be home well after we get done with Church, so the switch was no longer necessary, and since I have sick children I called to ask if we could switch back.  She was happy to do that.  I'm not sure how or when it happened but at some point during the phone call I just started to cry.   

I don't cry much, and I really don't cry around people I don't know very well, so I was pretty startled by my own reaction.  Of course she kindly asked if I was okay, and if there was anything she could do.  Before we got off the phone she told me to let her know if I needed anything.  (It's great being part of Relief Society, because ladies are always willing to give relief!)

Let me tell you a little about this sweet sister before I go on.  For the last six months she has been pregnant and caring for her three small children.  Her husband is in an undisclosed location in a country that ends in "stan".  He will be arriving home shortly before the birth of their child, this is the first birth he will be home for, and he will leave two days later, while she is still in the hospital, for a stateside assignment.

I appreciated her offer of help, but I know how much she is dealing with, and honestly other than being a little emotional, I am in fact totally fine.  Imagine my surprise when I arrived home from picking up a few "sick" groceries to have a message on my answering machine telling me to check my front door.

When I went to the door, there was a sweetly wrapped batch of cookies.  Needless to say the tears began again!  This sweet sister took seriously her covenant to "bear one another's burdens" and "comfort those who stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times, and in all places."  Mosiah 18:8-10

In his April 2011 talk, "Waiting on the Road to Damascus" President Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, "We each have a covenant responsibility to be sensitive to the needs of others and serve as the Savior did- to reach out, bless, and uplift those around us."

I am grateful for the reminder those cookies gave me of our important covenants.  I am grateful that I am able to learn more about my covenants as I read "The Book of Mormon."  I am grateful the Lord will provide me with ways to fulfill my covenants, and that this week He was able to bless this sweet sister for fulfilling hers, while He blessed me.  I am grateful to belong to a sisterhood that loves and cares for one another.  I am grateful that as members of the Relief Society we are able to put ourselves aside and as we "strengthen families and homes" and "seek out and help those in need."  I am grateful that "charity never faileth"!  I am grateful that the Lord has given us the Relief Society as a way to fulfill our baptismal covenants. 

I had yet another witness that Pres. Spencer W. Kimball was right when he said, "God does notice us, and he watches over us.  But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs."  I am grateful for His blessings, His covenants, and for the Relief Society.

(I have been thinking a lot about covenants lately, and I really enjoyed Elder Nelson's General Conference talk on them, as well as Sister Barbara Thompson's Relief Society talk about covenants.  I hope you enjoy these.)

Jocelyn Christensen  – (October 22, 2011 at 10:17 PM)  

Awesome testimony...wonderful to see people really fulfilling what it means to follow Jesus Christ!

Mary  – (October 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM)  

Loved your post~ Hope this week goes smoother for you, but isn't it nice to know that you are loved :)

Mama Rachel  – (March 19, 2012 at 10:58 AM)  

Wow! Now I'M crying, too! What a wonderful sisterhood we belong to, and what an amazing thing it is to serve each other. Thank you for sharing your sweet experience today! :-)

Abby  – (March 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM)  

Rachel, it is an amazing sisterhood, and as we've moved it's been amazing to see the sisterhood all over the world! Thanks for coming by.

Chocolate on my Cranium  – (March 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM)  

What a lovely story! I think those who have gone through so much are more in tune to others who are having a bit of a rough time.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP