Fall Sensory Bin and Pumpkin Pie Playdough

This month most of our learning is going to revolve around explorers and spices, but I decided to put together a Fall Sensory bin, since there aren't really seasons here in Southern California, and I REALLY miss fall.  If I close all of the doors when it's gray and windy, and let the little ones play with these, I can almost pretend it's fall.  All we need now is a little cider, and that's a lesson at the end of the month!
For our sensory bin we used brown lentils as the base, and then we added pine cones, fabric leaves, some wooden hearts, mini ears of corn, and some of the leftover red, yellow, and orange wheels from our rainbow collage,and two little black wooden birds off an old fall decoration (you can see one hiding behind a leaf in the top right corner).  I let the little ones help make the bin this month, they chose to use the lentils, and picked the leaves out of my stash, and they had a lot of fun doing it, that may have to become our new tradition!
It wouldn't be fall without pie!  So we got out our apple pie play dough, and made up some pumpkin pie play dough.  For the pumpkin pie play dough I used our regular dough recipe, and added cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and a little nutmeg, with red and yellow food coloring until it smelled good.  (I know, very specific!)  :)  Bitsy helped make the dough, and told me what colors I needed to mix to make orange, so apparently all of our color wheel lessons have paid off!  

We've already made "apple pies", and pumpkin cookies!  I imagine we'll be cooking up all sorts of culinary delights this month!

Jocelyn Christensen  – (October 4, 2011 at 2:50 PM)  

Ooh, I like this! We did halloween sensory boxes yesterday and my kids are loving them...apple pie play dough sounds great though!

Jocelyn Christensen  – (October 4, 2011 at 2:51 PM)  

but the pumpkin...that is what we'll make!

bwrightbrizee  – (October 4, 2011 at 7:13 PM)  

Wish you were here to have some of the homemade applesauce!! Made it seem like Autumn, for sure - of course the 50 degree temperatures and falling leaves helped too. Grandpa did a great job of cranking the Squeezo Strainer!! :-))

April's Homemaking  – (October 7, 2011 at 6:23 PM)  

I love sensory bins, and I love this idea, I use them in my Sunday school class, and this would be perfect for our fall lessons and activities. Thanks for the wonderful idea!! Love your fall scented clay as well, how fun!! ~April

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP