Families and The Book of Mormon

Yesterday I reached one of my absolute favorite parts of the Book of Mormon!  In 3 Nephi, the resurrected Christ appears to the people of the America's, and it is truly beautiful.  At the beginning of 3 Nephi the people receive the sign of His birth in Jerusalem, and yet despite this glorious occurrence they return to their sinful ways.  

Then in chapter 8 it starts, there are earthquakes, storms, and darkness.  People begin to realize what trouble they are in and they mourn the loss of their family members.  Finally, in chapter 11 Christ descends, and allows them to come and feel the wounds in His hands, feet, and side.  Then, they gather and are taught by the Savior of the world.  He teaches them to be baptized, to pray, to be humble, He teaches them that He is their Savior.  They are overwhelmed by the power and beauty of His teachings.

He tells them, "Therefore, go ye into your homes, and ponder the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again."  (3 Nephi 17:3)  After this He blesses their children as they watch, heals their sick, and gives them the Sacrament.  After this, "every man did take his wife and children and did return to his own home."  (3 Nephi 19:1)
"Yea, and even all night it was noised abroad concerning Jesus; and insomuch did they send forth unto the people that there were many, yea, an exceedingly great number, did labor exceedingly all that night, that they might be on the morrow in the place where Jesus should show himself unto the multitude." (3 Nephi 19:3)
I've read this part of the Book of Mormon many, many times, but today it really struck me how important families were in this whole experience.  When they gathered they were in their families mourning the loss of those who died, they learned from Christ together, and then he sent them home to ponder on the things they were taught, and to have family prayer.  The fathers filled their role as patriarchs and took their families home, but they also proclaimed the good news to others, and inspired other to do the hard work of gathering their families to hear the Savior the following day.  

The land had been destroyed by natural disasters, they had children of all ages, and those who were not present may have family members who are injured, or otherwise afflicted, and still they "did labor exceedingly" to get back to Christ.  They didn't say, "It's to far," or "I need to get some sleep," or "That's to hard," they just worked as a family to do what was necessary.  

The Lord taught me a lesson in how important family is came as I was taking my children to Costco.  Instead of worrying myself about how fast we could get in and out I prompted to just take the time I needed, and enjoy a lunch out with my sweet little ones.  They loved getting to eat there, and I loved being able to sit and love them, it was a great bonding time, and I don't think I've ever been able to say that about a trip to Costco before!  Our car trip was even the perfect way to teach them their school lessons.  I so appreciate this lesson in being together, and following His guidance as a family.

I love that the "Book of Mormon" teaches us about families, and I'm so grateful for the reminder to stick together as a family in our journey to Christ.

If you would like to learn more about what the "Book of Mormon" teaches please email me for a free copy.  I also highly recommend reading this.

Christy  – (October 27, 2011 at 2:11 PM)  

I love these beautiful insights on family in 3rd Nephi! Very touching. I so admire moms who home school. Thanks for commenting on my blog. =)

Mary  – (October 27, 2011 at 10:57 PM)  

I am exactly where you are in the Book of Mormon. I love to read it at Christmas time as well. It just fits with Christmas to me. Doesn't reading about his words to you just make you feel like you can do better? It does me, it also makes me feel so loved!!!

Jocelyn Christensen  – (October 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM)  

OOh, awesome post! I LOVE this insight into the importance of Families in God's plan!!! Way TO GO!!!

Esme  – (July 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM)  

I am giving a talk on families on Sunday and I am using The Book of Mormon and recent conference talks as my main sources. I've linked reference to families from The Book of Mormon to the talks given this April. I have gained a stronger testimony of the divinity and importance of families in Heavenly Father's plan. Thanks for your blog. Sister Esmeralda Meyer, Port Elizabeth, South Africa. :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP