It's Just a Bus

Yup, that's a white bus.  But every time I see one my heart starts to pound.  It's pounding right now as I type this, just seeing it there.  I get a kind of sick feeling in my stomach.  I inevitably bite my lip and avert my eyes, so I don't start to cry.  I know what that bus means.

Sometimes that bus means someone's leaving.  Sometimes it means that loved ones are coming home.  Unfortunately even when it means there are people coming home I still feel a little sick, because I know there is always at least one empty seat.  I hate that empty seat.  I'm grateful it doesn't belong to my husband.  I'm grateful it doesn't belong to any of my friend's husbands, but I feel such sorrow for the family whose loss has left that seat.  That bus inevitably brings sorrow into someone's life.

In all the emotion that bus brings into my life it also brings reminders.  Reminders like that found in 2 Nephi 9:52, "Behold, my beloved brethren, remember the words of your God; pray unto him continually by day and give thanks unto his holy name by night.  Let your hearts rejoice."

That bus reminds me to pray, and to thank the Lord for all of His blessings, and to rejoice in them.  It reminds me to pray for the safety of all those in harms way, and to give a prayer of gratitude for their sacrifice.  It reminds me to thank my Father in Heaven for the opportunity to prove that I can stand by my husband, no matter what!  It reminds me to thank my Savior for his atonement for me, because of which I know even in my darkest hour that I am not alone.

It reminds me of 2 Nephi 10:20, "And now, my beloved brethren, seeing that our merciful God has given us great knowledge concerning these things, let us remember him, and lay aside our sins, and not hang down our heads, for we are not cast off; nevertheless, we have been driven out of the land of our inheritance; but we have been led to a better land..."

I remember that because of my husband's service we are led where the Lord wants and needs us.  I remember to be joyful in my opportunity to serve my Savior, and to be grateful that no matter where I am the farthest distance between me and the Lord is the distance between me and the floor where my knees hit.  I remember that Christ is aware of me, and of all of the people on that bus, and those effected by it, whether we acknowledge Him or not.

And that white bus also reminds me to follow the admonition in Mosiah 4:9 to, "Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend."

I need that reminder most.  I need to remember that I am a creation of the most powerful God, and that he has put me where I am and surrounded me with the experiences I have so I can glorify Him.  I need to remember to move forward in faith, knowing that his plan is so great, that I can't comprehend all of the wonderful things He has in store for me.

It also reminds me of how profoundly grateful I am for my Savior Jesus Christ.  That I can find His words in the Holy Bible and in the Book of Mormon, and that through those words I can find peace and greater closeness to Him.

You can learn more about the Book of Mormon by reading this special edition of the Ensign magazine.  You can also email me and I would be happy to send you a free copy of the Book of Mormon.

If you have blogged about the Book of Mormon, please join the Book of Mormon Forum Blog Hop, by linking up below!

bwrightbrizee  – (October 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM)  

May our seat on the bus always have Daddy in it!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP