My Testimony of the Book of Mormon

When I was twelve I met some girls who belonged to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints at school.  They were nice girls, and I really enjoyed spending time with them.  We never really interacted outside of school because we lived fairy far from one another, and I honestly can't even remember how it happened that they invited me to come to Church with them.  I went once or twice, and it was nice, and then they invited me to something called "Girl's Camp" where all of the girls between 12 and 18 go camping and hiking, and just generally enjoy the outdoors.  I LOVED being there!!!  I couldn't wait until the next year, and I hoped they would invite me again.  I had always loved to camp, but there was something different about this camp, and I couldn't figure out what it was, but I just felt good there. 
Fast forward a few years, I had moved about an hour away, and one of the girls had moved to Utah, but we still kept in touch.  For about three years I had been going through some hard times at home, and I knew it was going to come to a head soon.  I was lonely and scared, and questioning everything, including the divinity of Christ.  When I was down at my mom's for Christmas one of those sweet girls helped change my life.  She gave me a copy of the "Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ".  I had been offered one before, but this time I took it, and I read it.  I couldn't put it down.  I didn't want to put it down, because every time I read it I was happy.  Happy wasn't something I knew a lot about at that time.  I wanted to be happy, and I wanted it to be true.  I wanted Joseph Smith to be a prophet, I wanted the Gospel of Jesus Christ to have been restored, but I was scared.  I was scared that it wouldn't be true, and happy would go away again.  I started meeting with the missionaries, and they asked me to read Moroni 10:3-5-
"Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.
And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."
So I read, and I prayed, I wasn't real sure how to pray, but I tried, and the comfort and peace that came to me was unimaginable.  I KNEW that this book was true!  I read about the coming of Christ to the Americas in 3 Nephi 11 and I felt a love that was indescribable.  Because I knew the Book of Mormon was true, I knew The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was the Lord's true church, and I was baptized on March 15, 1997. 
The Lord knew at that time in my life I was prepared to receive the Book of Mormon, and find the truth, and I am so grateful to my beautiful friends who were willing to share it with me.  I am grateful to my amazing brother in-law Mike who was willing and worthy to serve a mission at that time as well.  I didn't meet Mike until 2003, but I know that if my friend had not offered me the Book of Mormon at that time, my brother in-law would have found me.  I am so grateful that God in His wisdom has a plan, and that He has given us another testament of Jesus Christ, to compliment the Bible.  I am so grateful that this month I have the opportunity to read it yet again, and have so many of you join me.  I know we will all be richly blessed.

Jessie's Little Corner  – (October 5, 2011 at 9:35 AM)  

In stake conference several monts ago Elder Oaks from the quorum of the 12 apostles came and spoke with us. He brought with him a member of the seventy who spoke before him.The talk by the seventy was profound and left us all in tears. Then Elder Oaks got up. he said he found himself in the unenviable spot of having to speak after the spiritual climax of the meeting had already been reached. at the time I thought tat was a silly ting for him to say. He is a member of the 12 apostles for heaven sakes. However at the moment I sympathize. How do I post anything that can follow that wonderful testimony?

So I am going to do what he did and not try and compete spiritually but instead turn the conversation in a new direction.
Yestrday I started reading the Book of Mormon as part of the challenge Abby issued. I didn't have my copy wit me so I went out on line and read from lds.org. I got through the intro and was working on the brief description when I got pulled away and never got back to it.

This morning I was riding to work with my roommate and once again found myself without my scriptures. I went out on my tablet and grabbed the first edition available on the android market. The volumn was from the Library of Princeton Universiy. It was a third edition printed 18 years after the original publication.

The set up in this earlier version is much different from the one that I am use to. It starts wih what it calls an Advertisement which is a description of the whys relating to the introduction. The introduction is next but it is nothing like the intro I am use to. For anyone who has never read the Book of Mormon before I would recommend the current version. However for those who are interested in see a bit of history on this most beloved book Iwould recommend finding a copy of this edition on line.

Abby  – (October 5, 2011 at 5:12 PM)  

Jessie, thanks for sharing that! I knew that different editions had been put out, and I assumed that the formatting was different, but thought that since the scriptures were the same all of the wording would be the same too. We love history around here, so I'm going to have to see if I can find something online. Thanks for sharing! (And, for those of you who don't know Jessie is one of my AMAZING sisters. Aren't I lucky?)

Jocelyn Christensen  – (October 5, 2011 at 5:40 PM)  

Absolutely beautiful testimony!!! I'd love to have you use this as a guest post for me this month! :)

CamelotCondo  – (October 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lamm Fam  – (October 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM)  

It was so wonderful to read your testimony and conversion story. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father put us together in Middle School. I don't know if you remember, but you invited me to your birthday party sleepover, and some of us got talking about religion. You seemed so interested to know about my church, and the Spirit clearly prompted me that night that I should share more with you and invite you to Girl's Camp. I felt like I should give you a Book of Mormon too, but I wasn't sure how. I am just so glad that you reached out to me in friendship, and I am grateful the Spirit prompted me to act! I'm so thankful for you and your example to me. I treasure our friendship.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP