The End of a Challenge

Yesterday was the end of a month of challenge's in our home!  We finished our month of service by taking a meal to a family who's son just came home from the hospital.  Daddy came home from a month of training.  And I finished reading the Book of Mormon in a month.  

I don't think that I can adequately express the way that I felt the Lord in my life over the last month.  I felt so much closer to Him as I immersed myself more fully in His words, and in His service.  I have seen so many areas in which I need to repent, and I am grateful that I am able to.  I have felt strength that was not my own when I needed it.  I have felt that the Lord knows me personally, by name, and is always mindful of me.  I have felt uplifted as I sought the Lord more often in prayer, and learned to always have a prayer in my heart.  I have felt inspiration, and have followed the counsel of our prophet, not to question it, but just to act. 

I hope you also had such wonderful experiences as you immersed yourselves in the Book of Mormon this month.
As I think of all of the blessings I have received my heart is overflowing with gratitude, and I am excited for the coming of Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I feel like I am already filled with the spirit of the holiday season. 

Because my heart is so full of gratitude our family is going to be focusing our coming month on thanks and giving.  I can't wait to see where the Lord leads us in all of this.  I am excited that this will also be a focus over at Chocolate on My Cranium as well.  I hope you will share what you are grateful for with me, and any traditions you have that help your family focus on their blessings.  I'd also love to hear about any ways your family serves together.  I really feel like I'm going to bust I'm so full of thankfulness right now!!

Before I go, you may have noticed Megan's story over in the sidebar.  This month LDS Philanthropies is raising money to help single parents attend LDS Business college, so they can get the education they need to help support their families.  Megan is one of those parents, who is trying to get an education so she can support her autistic daughter.  Please consider clicking on the speaker and listening to her story, and then consider giving thanks for your many blessings, and give some to help others.  You can also read more about it here.

Jocelyn Christensen  – (November 1, 2011 at 6:12 PM)  

MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU, my friend!!! What major accomplishments! It's truly a miracle...the Lord can help us do so much more than we imagined when we put our hand in His! You've certainly done that! Great work, Abby!

bwrightbrizee  – (November 1, 2011 at 6:51 PM)  

How wonderful so see Daddy home - hard to tell who missed whom the most!!!

Abby  – (November 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM)  

My mother in-law was having a hard time posting, so she sent me her comments to post for her. Thanks for the great ideas mom!

Last year I collected all different sizes and colors of fall leaves. We put up a tree base with branches, and then wrote on each leaf things we were thankful for and created a thanksgiving tree. You could have the kids paste small pictures on each leaf or just use the pictures for leaves, however I think the kids really like seeing all the variety of leaves.

I have made a thanksgiving bingo game. I got it on line last year and I am laminating it and the pictures to use this year. My mom always liked to do a big bingo game with everyone for thanksgiving, and it is fun to continue traditions if they bring the spirit of giving and being thankful.

Julie said that on Thanksgiving morning at her house the men all go out and plan tag football while the moms get dinner ready. I think the touch football should be for everyone, and then everyone help with dinner too!

I really appreciated the opportunity to read the Book of Mormon with everyone in the month of October. I learned some new things as I usually do, and it brought me closer to Christ. Every time I read it, I see more and more similarities with our day. This time I was particularly aware of my many weaknesses and sins, and my tendency to not fully be valiant. I know I need to try harder to repent and be more diligent in keeping all of the Lords commandments so that I am worthy to have the Savior as my friend to help me through the hard experiences life seems to send our way.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP