Service of A Child

"And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, and said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."

This week's Wordfull Wednesday post over at Chocolate on My Cranium really got me thinking about children and service.  For the last few months I've been working on thinking of ways to get my young children more involved in service, but now that I really sit down and look at it, it seems maybe I've been missing how they are teaching me to serve. 

Bitsy and Manly are both so compassionate, it amazes me, but I think because she is older Bitsy really goes the extra mile to serve others.  We don't go to a store without her telling at least two people that she likes something about their appearance, whether it is a shirt, a haircut, or shoes.  She is amazing at seeing the beauty in others.  

When we make a treat, she ALWAYS wants to share.  She wants to take a plate of cookies to the neighbors, or share extra play dough we make with her Primary teacher.  Today I had a friend over, and Bitsy offered to share all of her candy with her.  When she is having a snack, and I'm working in the kitchen she never fails to bring me a bite.  

I can't remember the last time she struck up a conversation with a stranger and didn't invite them to our home for dinner.  She is sad when others are sick, or need a meal for some reason, and she isn't able to come with me to help deliver it.  When I am sick while I am pregnant I've never seen a better nurse.  She brings drinks, and snacks, and then offers to "read" me a book.

And that picture up there, that's not an uncommon sight in our home.  Bitsy sees that it's time to vacuum, and she just goes and gets it herself, and will vacuum the entire house if I let her.  She wants to help wash dishes, and care for Lettie, she wants to clean the windows and mirrors.  She wants to make our house a home.

She befriends the lonely, and is completely confused when others don't want to befriend her, and yet she never gets angry when someone ignores her kindness.  She is the first to introduce herself to new neighbors, and every night when Daddy is gone she offers me her favorite dolly, or her panda bears to sleep with, so I don't have to sleep alone.

She doesn't serve because she is going to get praise, or rewards, although sometimes she does.  She serves in her home and in the community around her.  She serves because she truly loves others, and wants to help them and know them.  Without understanding it, she knows that charity is the pure love of Christ, and she's filled with it.  

I have a lot to learn from this sweet daughter of God, and a long way to go to be more like her, but I am grateful for her.  I am so blessed to be her mom! 

Jocelyn Christensen  – (November 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM)  

Very sweet! I need to post about this too...I just added one,but remembered another sweet moment I wanted to share! Love ya!

bwrightbrizee  – (November 10, 2011 at 8:03 PM)  

She is a most special girl for sure - I think maybe she takes after her mommy!!! I'm just saying . . . :-))

Chocolate on my Cranium  – (November 10, 2011 at 10:01 PM)  

What a sweetie! I have a feeling though that she has learned it from watching the person she is around the most. . . .her mommy!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP