Today I am Thankful!

"Oh beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved, and mercy more than life..."
(America the Beautiful)

Remember how I mentioned that I have been reading this amazing book from our Church, "Daughters in My Kingdom" with my sisters in-law?  Well, it's been pretty amazing, and it's really had me thinking about the amazing strength the Lord has given to women.  There are so many women who have been willing to suffer and struggle to support others, and to raise families.  I am in awe of their willingness to sacrifice and bless others, and I am so thankful for their example.  When I hear stories about the faith of other women it truly encourages me to try a little harder, and be a little more cheerful, to live up to that legacy.

Autumn is such a beautiful time of year, and we all focus on our blessings as we prepare for Thanksgiving.  I am grateful for the Pilgrim women who stood by their husband's and cared for their children during an arduous journey.  But before we get to Thanksgiving, we have another opportunity to show gratitude, on Veteran's Day.  

I am grateful for the many men and women who have served, but as I was thinking about what I've read in "Daughters in My Kingdom" today I realized how grateful I am for the wives and families who stayed behind.  They too have set an example of faith and strength.  They too, "more than self their country loved."
I know that there are thousands, if not millions of women who have walked the road I am on as I support my husband in his service to our country, but there is one who I always think of first.  My sweet grandmother married my grandfather during the middle of World War II, and shortly after their marriage he left to defend his family and his country.  She stood by him as he served in two wars, at times she raised her family alone, she served her neighbors, and she served her God.  

I'm sure she never guessed that years later I would marry a serviceman, and that within months of our marriage we would be separated by a war.  She wouldn't have imagine that I would, at times, raise my family alone.  And as she lived her daily life, I'm sure she never thought that she would be a shining beacon, showing me how to live my life with dignity and grace despite the obstacles.  She's probably never thought that's she's a hero in anyone else's eyes.  I don't think she ever imagined how much strength her example of living a life in God's service would give to me. 

Today I am thankful.  Thankful for those who serve and sacrifice to allow our country to remain free.  Thankful for those who had the courage to come to a new land to worship their God.  Thankful the strength that comes from sisterhood.  Thankful for my sweet grandma, and her quiet walk with God, that helps encourage me along my way.

I love you grandma, thank you for showing me how much I have to thank God for!

bwrightbrizee  – (November 8, 2011 at 10:18 PM)  

OK - this made me cry!!! I'll print off and take to Grandma to read to her on Friday when I visit. This week would have been Grandpappy's 90th birthday

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP