Week In Review : Thanksgiving

This week we spent most of our time in the kitchen getting ready for Thanksgiving, and in the excitement I again found myself cameraless (yes, I know it's not a real word) often.  It's to bad too, because for the first time ever I made my own cherry pie filling, and made pumpkin pie with our very own pumpkins, and without the recipe on the back of the can.  June Cleaver, look out!  

Other than Thanksgiving, my favorite activity of the week would have to be having my little ones helping me make mashed potatoes on Wednesday so we could deliver them to a dinner for homeless families in the community.  I loved the joy in their eyes when they told EVERYONE they met, that they were taking potatoes to people who didn't have any.  Bitsy usually invited the people she talked with to come too, and bring something.  I love that giving heart of hers!

 So, here is what I did get pictures of.  There's nothing of any great "educational" value, but there is amazing family building value, and honestly that's one of the reasons I love homeschool.  Sometimes we can put the formal academics aside, and focus on family building and homemaking!
 Lettie wanted to make sure everyone saw that her bib says, "My family is thankful for me!"  At least I assume that's why she kept standing up in her high chair and waving it around at me. 
 Daddy made me this great bird bath out of a table I didn't want anymore, and what I think is supposed to be a lamp shade.  I fell in love with the colors, and wanted it in the yard, so my sweet husband accommodated me.  Manly helped dig it into the ground, and then decided to float his  beach boat in it to make sure it was safe.  Can you tell how proud he is of himself for coming up with the idea to put his boat in there?
 Apparently Lettie was waving her bib at me to tell me she was hungry, because later when I dropped a piece of sweet potato on the floor she laid down like this to lick it up.  Thank goodness I had just cleaned the floor.  :)
 Bitsy spent a good deal of time mothering her new Nutcracker.  (She doesn't know it yet, but he's going to be the centerpiece of her birthday party in a few weeks.)  I loved watching her wrap him up, and carry him carefully around the house, speaking softly to him.  It's that tender heart again!
Saturday we decorated our Christmas tree, because the children and I just couldn't stand it any longer! Everyone had a responsibility.  Daddy and Steven got the star on.
 Lettie guarded the ornaments.  (I'm not even sure why or how she crawled up there, but it made me giggle to see her.)
 Bitsy supervised.  Okay, the truth is Bitsy wanted to touch every ornament, and decorated most of the tree, but when it came time for the star, she wanted NOTHING to do with it, but had a good time sitting and watching.  Gratefully my dear husband didn't get a picture of me trying to put the star on, and it popping off the top of the tree and across the room.  :)  Good times!
 Finally, Lettie kept a very close eye on the singing and dancing mouse ornament.  I think all of the reading and watching of "The Nutcracker" has made her a little leery of mice.  :)

This week we are going to finish up a few lessons on thankfulness and sharing before we move full scale into Christmas on December 1st.  I'll share more of our Christmas school plans later in the week!  

I hope you and your family had a wonderful week of family time and thankfulness!

bwrightbrizee  – (November 28, 2011 at 8:00 PM)  

I'm glad liked her bib - she sure is cute!! Can't wait to get there to see the Christmas tree - and all my special elves!!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP