Yogurt Cheese

I love food, and food storage, and one of my favorite things to make is yogurt out of my powdered milk, it's fantastic!  It tastes wonderful, and on top of that it is very versatile, I can strain it for an hour or so and have Greek yogurt, or I can strain it for longer and get yogurt cheese.  

You may be wondering what to do with yogurt cheese, and the answer is anything you would do with cream cheese.  Yes, I even use it to make cheesecake!  You can use it on a bagel, or in french toast as well.  

Now that you're curious, let me show you just how easy it is to make.  (Before we begin, I have made my own yogurt for about a year now.  I have NEVER tried this with yogurt from the store.  I would assume it would work the same way, but I haven't done it, so I can't be sure.  If you need to want to know how I make my yogurt, let me know and I'm happy to do a post on that as well.)

Here we go...  First gather your supplies, you need yogurt, a strainer, a bowl or mason jar for the strainer to sit on, a bag of water, or a piece of fruit to weight your yogurt, and a towel, coffee filter, or a piece of cheesecloth to strain with.  I prefer a towel because it is easier to wash than cheesecloth, and I have it on hand.  (We don't drink coffee, so I have no need for filters.)
 Next, set your strainer on top of the bowl, and place the towel inside.
Add your yogurt.  This is about a cup and a half, normally I go more, but I just threw this together to create this post.  This will make between a quarter and a half of a cup of yogurt cheese.
 Fold the towel over the yogurt so none will spill out.
 Add some type of weight.  I use a quart size bag of water, but I always double bag it to make sure it doesn't leak.  You could use an apple or an orange as well.
 After a minute or two if you look in your bowl you should see some of the whey starting to drip out.  If you don't see anything after 5 minutes, and your towel doesn't seem to be getting wet you should add some more weight.  Once you're sure it's dripping, put the whole thing into the refrigerator.
 If you want Greek style yogurt check on it after and hour or two, but if you want yogurt cheese leave it for at least four hours.  Depending on how much whey is in your yogurt it can take 8 hours.  You can see it is at a good spreadable consistency here, and that the towel just peeled away, leaving an impression.
You can store it in a container in the refrigerator for about a week.  (But use common sense, if it smells bad, tastes bad, or is growing mold, throw it out.)  If you bake your own bread, then the whey that you strained out can be stored in a container as well and used in place of water in your bread recipe.

(Andrea, I'm so sorry I didn't get this up last night, the straining time and "life" prevented it, but I hope you enjoy!)

Andrea  – (November 11, 2011 at 2:48 AM)  

Hopefully this isn't a repeat comment. I posted my comment and the computer ate it. Thanks so much for this post--it looks super easy!!! I've never made yogurt from scratch so now I am curious about that too. Awesome.

Mary  – (November 11, 2011 at 10:43 AM)  

I am curious as well, I eat 3 to 4 containers of yogurt a day~ And this yogurt cheese looks great~

Abby  – (November 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM)  

Andrea and Mary, Making the yogurt is just as easy as the yogurt cheese actually, but it takes a little longer. I will make some up tomorrow and post it tomorrow night or Sunday.

JRoberts  – (November 12, 2011 at 3:22 PM)  

Super tute Abby! I am pinning it so I don't lose it somewhere in my bookmarks! :)

I will also watch for your yogurt. I have only ever made it from a starter or with the enzymes you buy at the store. How do you start yours?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP