Countdown to Christmas

I'm sorry that I'm posting this a few days into the month as well.  I guess I got so excited about decorating and getting everything in order for Christmas, I completely forgot about posting time sensitive activities on the blog.  Again, if it's to late for you for this year, consider it a head start for next year!  :)

As a child I always had an advent calendar that had little doors with chocolate, and I really loved it!  The thing is, I was an only child, so there was no one to fight over the chocolate with.  Since we have three little ones we have decided to take a different path for our Christmas countdown.  I keep hoping to make a cute fabric advent calendar to hang on the wall so we can hide little treats, and have papers with scriptures and service for each day, but I just haven't gotten to it yet.  Maybe next year!  Until then, let me share with you how we are counting down.

Last year I fell in love with the Scripture Ornament tree in the December issue of "The Friend", so I pulled it out and laminated it to use again.  At the top there are 25 questions about Christ's birth, such as "Who told Mary she would have a baby?" and the ornament contains the scripture reference with the answer to the question.  (The answer to the above question is found in Luke 1:26-33.)  The little ones really love listening for the answer, and then daddy quizzes them when he gets home, to see if they remember, which they think is even more fun.  :)  If you are interested in printing it off you will need to download the Scripture Ornament article, as the links to the pictures aren't working in the text file.

One of the other things the children love is the "My First Countdown to Christmas" book by Dr. Mary Manz Simon.  Each day focuses on a different aspect of the Christmas story, with a craft to go with it.  This is our second year using it, and we all enjoy it.

This year, I am also enjoying counting down to Christmas over at my dear friend Theresa and her daughter Jessica's blog, Joyous Notions.  They are sharing a beautiful tutorial every day as well as having a daily giveaway.  I love creating beautiful things for my family all year long, but especially during the holidays, so I have really been enjoying this extra encouragement and inspiration.

I love this magical time of the year, where everything seems a little more beautiful, a little more peaceful, and a whole lot closer to Christ. 

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP