Forward, Pressing Forward

Last week we read "The Miracle of the Wooden Shoes" by Deborah Pace Rowley as part of our 25 Book of Christmas.  One of my favorite parts of the book is at the end where it suggests that you "share the miracle" by secretly serving others with gifts similar to the ones that were received by the family in the story.  With each gift there is also a recommended scripture to attach to the gift.  

I really love the idea of including a verse of scripture with each gift, and I wonder how radically our own gift giving at Christmas would change if we tried to do the same with every gift we offered.  At the very least, I think we'd probably all be doing a lot better at "likening the scriptures unto ourselves."

As I read the scripture for the fourth and final day of sharing the miracle, I was really touched.

"Wherefore, ye must press forward, with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men.  Wherefore, if ye shall press forward feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." 2 Nephi 31:20

There's no mention of a baby in a manger, and yet, this scripture reminded me again what Christmas is about.  I love Luke 2, and reading about the birth of the Savior, because in reading about His birth I am reminded of His life, and of His death. 

I'm reminded that I have to press forward, submitting my will to His, as Christ submitted His will to the Father.  I'm reminded that if I press forward on the path He leads me in, there is a reason for hope, and for that I should offer all of the love in my heart to Him and those around me.  To press forward I have to "feast upon the word of Christ".  I can't just occasionally glance through my scriptures, I need to FEAST on the scriptures, I need to read and study them every day, because without them I will get lost along the way, without them I can't endure.  Without a steadfastness in Christ I can't endure to the end.  I want to endure to endure.  I want to press forward.

I want to receive the greatest blessing that little baby in a manger could ever offer.  I want to have eternal life!

If you would like to learn more about the Book of Mormon, you can read more here.

Christy  – (December 16, 2011 at 12:45 AM)  

I guess in a sense, every scripture is about Christmas. :). You've renewed my desire to "feast on the word!" Thanks. :)

Jocelyn Christensen  – (December 16, 2011 at 3:07 AM)  

Great great scripture and story! Thanks, Abby!

Abby  – (December 16, 2011 at 10:10 AM)  

Christy, that's sort of the decision I came to as well. Thanks for putting it into words for me.

I'm glad you have both enjoyed it. Thanks for letting me know.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP