Dashing Through The Snow

Snow in Southern California?!  Well, no, but my little ones were so disappointed when we went all the way to Salt Lake and there wasn't snow for them to play in, that they are still asking when we're going to have snow.  

My children are snow babies...  Literally.  It snowed on the day each of them was born.  A winter without snow, is like no winter at all for them, and it was more than their mama's heart could take.  So, earlier this week I decided to take things into my own hands, and we had a SNOW DAY!!! (See, the weather chart says so, so it must be true.)  :)

I started our snow day by changing our weather chart, and immediately the little ones knew that something was up.  Then I asked them to check our book basket.
All of our books had "suddenly" changed to books about snow!  In it they found "Owl Moon" by Jane Yolen, "Snowmen At Night" by Caralyn Buehner, "The Three Snow Bears" by Jan Brett, "The Mitten" by Alvin Tresselt, and "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost and illustrated by Susan Jeffers.  After we looked through all of the books, we grabbed them and snuggled in on the couch covered in blankets, with the blinds closed so we didn't have to work as hard at pretending it was really snowing outside.
After our story time, we decided to get out the "snow" we made earlier in the week.  I know most people call this cloud dough, but as I was making it with my children, they immediately said, "Oh mom, we made snow", so it has been named snow dough in our house, and was a perfect addition to our day. 

It's only fair to warn you, that this dough is significantly messier than most other doughs we've made, and Manly created a bit of a blizzard.  (My first reaction was NOT to call it a blizzard, but to be horribly angry, luckily I caught myself before we went to far down that road!)
This picture was taken after I cleaned the blizzard up off of the floor, the dinner table, the bench, and believe it or not, him!  If you're child happens to make a blizzard, it is much more effective to sweep or vacuum it first, and then use a sponge to clean up any residue.  Trust me, starting out with a wet rag, makes a HORRID paste all over your surfaces. 
After our snow removal, we were all pretty hungry, so we had a delicious snow themed muffin tin meal.  (I'll post all about it on Monday.  I posted about it here.)
And as a little treat, after everyone was in bed mama had a hot chocolate and marshmallow snowman.

We had a wonderful snow day, and hope you do too, whether you have real snow or not!

Linking to:

JDaniel4's Mom  – (January 27, 2012 at 3:36 PM)  

What fun! I love your lunch and treat. Your sensory tin is so much fun.

Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

bwrightbrizee  – (January 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM)  

We haven't even had snow here that I can send you!! The snowflake and mitten cookie cutters can kind of help . . . :-)) Manly got a haircut!!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP