Food Storage 101: Bugs

Last week, I gave a pretty short answer about bugs in the food storage, but since it's a question I've gotten several times, I want to give a little more information about it.  I have to be completely honest though, this post is going to be short and non-pictorial, because the whole subject creeps me out, and makes me itch.  I seriously don't do bugs!

Now that we have that all cleared up, let's get to the real information.  :)

In the last eight years, I have only had one infestation of any type, and that was of some unidentified bug in my 6 gallon bucket of oats.  After that my solution has always been to freeze my bulk grains for at least 48 hours, but let's be honest, I usually forget and they sit in there for a week, before I put them into my plastic buckets.  Since I started doing that I've never had a problem.

The most important thing is to keep your containers in a cool, dry place, and make sure you are buying from a reliable source.  If you're doing that there's no reason to be to concerned about an insect infestation.  

If you're interested in reading more thorough and authoritative information on the subject, I highly recommend looking at the information put out by the Colorado State University Extension Office (fair warning, this one includes pictures of the gross little pests), and the Utah State University Extension Office.  You can also Google "Bugs in Food Storage" and get all sorts of information.

So now that we've talked about how to store food, and how to keep it bug free, what other questions do you have?  I'd love to help answer them if I can.  Leave me a comment, or email me at alrawlins at msn dot com.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP