Fruit Trees and a Nutcracker Birthday

 Remember when I said a few weeks ago that my friend Theresa's Winter Journal had given me inspiration for my little one's birthday party?  Well, as I was looking at her Sugar Plum Tea for Little Ladies, the birthday party came to me.  You see, both Bitsy and Manly wanted a castle cake, but then I needed to come up with a way to make the entire party fit with a good theme, enter the Nutcracker.  They both love "The Nutcracker" in all it's forms.  We've watched the ballet, read the book, and listened to the symphony.  It was perfect!
 Normally I would have made the cake myself, but since we were up visiting Grandma and Grandpa, we went to the local bakery.  Since I can't leave well enough alone, we added little Nutcrackers to the cake, along with spiral candles, and candles with their ages.  There was plenty for everyone to blow out! 
Since I was feeling bad about not baking the cake, and buying most of the food from the store, I decided to make these edible decorations for the table.



And since they were so easy to make, I wanted to show you how.  First, go to the craft store and get some of those floral cone shapes.  Then wrap them in foil or plastic wrap.  (I used the foil because I thought it would look nicer as the fruit was removed.)
Once you have them all wrapped up, just start putting toothpicks into the cones, and adding fruit.  The cones are pretty stiff, so I recommend inserting the toothpicks and then putting the fruit on, so you don't end up with squished fruit.  Add fruit until you're satisfied with how they look.
I've seen variations of these done with candy, and I considered it since it was a Nutcracker party, but these turned out just as bright, and were so much healthier that I decided I couldn't pass them up.  They were so simple.  I love the way they turned out!
 




bwrightbrizee  – (January 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM)  

Oh my - such a great party!! The little Nutcrackers look really cute on the cake. Love the fruit trees - Edible Arrangements has nothing on you!! :-)) Can't wait to see more pictures - everyone looks like they are having a grand time. Lettie looks positively transported by the cake!! :-))

Julie@teachinggoodeaters  – (January 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM)  

I love your fruit trees... I've never thought to do that but I'm sure that my kids would have a blast making and and then eating them! Thanks so much for linking up to Food Adventure Friday!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP