Warm Hands, Warm Heart

When we were in Salt Lake during Christmas my husband saw some reusable hand warmers, and he was completely fascinated by them.  The trouble was, that to reheat them you needed to boil them in water or microwave them, and in his line of work, those are two things he's usually not going to have access to at the same time he needs reusable hand warmers.

Because they were fairly expensive as well, it didn't take much effort to talk him out of them, but I love my husband.  I always want him to be warm and comfortable, especially when I'm not there to take care of that, so when I saw these cute rice bag hand warmers I was inspired!
I did a quick google search on how to reheat a rice bag without a microwave and discovered that wrapped in foil they can be places in an oven to reheat.  Again, he won't always have access to an oven or foil, but he will always have access to MRE heaters, and they will do just the job.

So while my sweet husband was at work last week I took about twenty minutes and an old pair of cammies, so they're inconspicuous, and made him his own little rice bags.  I skipped the cinnamon and orange though...and the hearts, even though it is our anniversary.  :)

For the two small ones my fabric was about 2 1/2" by 7", and they fit nicely in the palm of the hand, and were EXTREMELY hot after being microwaved for 45 seconds.  (Next time I'll try them for 30 seconds.)  The larger one underneath was made from one of his pockets, and measures about 4" by 5" finished, and was just about right after 45 seconds.

These were quick and easy, and would make a great little addition to a 72 hour kit, or any other preparedness items you have.

Linking to Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways

Tamara ♥ . .  – (January 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM)  

Happy Anniversary! It's really good to find your blog, too :) I can't wait to take some time and read through your posts.

My girls and I use rice and corn bags all the time to keep warm. We get quite chilled in our little mountain area and so we love cuddling under blankets with a heated rice bag.

Abby  – (January 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM)  

Thanks Tamara! I'm glad you found it too.

We really love rice bags here too, and I can't believe I hadn't thought to make them into hand warmers before. He's used them a couple of times already, and loves them, so I may need to make some for the rest of the family. :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP