Chocolate Play Dough and a Valentine's Sensory Bin

Things are a little unsettled in our home right now due to some changes with my husband's job, so I apologize for my sporadic posting, but I hope to be back on track in a week or two.  Until then, if you're looking for a little Valentine's fun, here is our sensory bin and play dough for the month.
I used rice for a base this month, and got little heart gems, the paint can, heart tags, and wooden heart box all at Micheal's in their Valentine's Day sale.  There are also little heart clothes pins in the paint can that have been used for counting, sorting, and keeping the tags together.  It's really amazing what creativity little one's have!
To make the rice I put some in two bags, and added red food coloring to both, but added a squirt or two of hand sanitizer to the one bag, to make it a little brighter.  I then combined them in the bin, and tossed in a handful of plain white rice, and got the pretty color combination.  The little ones love it, and honestly, so do I.  I hadn't really intended on adding the white, but I'm glad I did.  I think this is my favorite bin yet.
Bitsy and Manly helped me make the play dough this month, and since I had a request for the recipe I use, I'll finally remember to share it with you.

Ingredients:

3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups salt
6 tsp. cream of tartar
3 cups water
3 Tbsp. oil

Combine everything in a pot on the stove.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is about the consistency of mashed potatoes, 5-10 minutes.  Then remove from the pan, and turn out on a counter.  At this point I add any coloring, or scents that I want.  Then just knead it until it is smooth.  For the chocolate dough I added about 2 Tbsp. of cocoa powder and it gave it a very yummy smell, and the brown color.

I keep it in a plastic container on the counter, and have had it stay good for... well, forever.  I've had some for over a year that is still good.
I got these cute bags at Micheal's as well, and the extra dough made a lovely gift for our Primary teacher at church, as well as friends.

Linked to: Sun Scholars

All of a Kind Family  – (February 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM)  

Love the color combination in the rice :) ...and my girls really enjoyed playing that chocolate play dough.

Cristi Messersmith –   – (February 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM)  

What fun!

Sherri Jorgensen  – (February 11, 2012 at 6:00 AM)  

Now that is what I'm talking about...LOVE IT!!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP