Food Storage Recipes: Graham Crackers

I am a little behind on posting, because things are a little up ended in our lives right now, but now that we know a few basics about food storage the best thing to do is start using it.  To that end, I had a request from a friend for my graham cracker recipe, and my bread recipe, and I thought I would share them with everyone, starting with the graham crackers.  I'm going to take pictures the next time I make them so that it's a full tutorial, but for now, the best I can do is the recipe.  :)
This is my adaptation of my friend Theresa Power's recipe, found in her book "Baby's First Foods", I adapted it to make it food storage friendly.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup reconstituted powdered milk (or 1/4 cup of water with 1 Tablespoon of powdered milk)
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
3/4 cup brown sugar or sucanut
1/4 cup honey
1 egg (powdered can be substituted)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4-5 cups whole wheat flour (You can use soft or hard, or a combination)

Cream together the milk, butter, sugar, and honey until it is well mixed and light in color.  Add the egg, vanilla, salt, and baking soda, and cream again.  Add the whole wheat flour a cup at a time until the dough is stiff.  If it is to moist it will be extremely difficult to roll it on the pan.

Divide the dough into parts, based on the size of your tray.  With this size batch I can make two 11 1/2" x 16 1/2" trays full.  Grease your pan very well, on use parchment paper or a baking mat.  (Trust me, they will NOT come up otherwise!)  

Put the dough on your pan, and flatten it out slightly with your hand, then roll the dough to 1/4" thick.  This is done most easily with a pastry roller, as opposed to a full rolling pin.  I also find it very helpful to cover the dough with a piece of plastic wrap before I begin rolling.  This prevents the dough from getting caught up in the roller.  

After you have formed your rectangle, use a knife or a pizza cutter to cut the dough into the shape you would like them to be.  You can also prick the dough with a fork, this isn't a must, but my children REALLY enjoy it.  Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.  

My children LOVE these.  I usually make a double batch, and sometimes a triple batch, to keep them around the house, and even then I have to put them up high if I want them to last more than a day or two.  

I hope you and your family enjoy them as much as ours does!

Lisa –   – (February 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM)  

I just made these tonight, and they are so yummy! Thank you!

Abby –   – (February 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM)  

I'm so glad you enjoyed them Lisa. They are definitely a favorite around here.
Subject: [ahouseof] Re: A House of...: Food Storage Recipes: Graham Crackers

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP