No Fail Whole Wheat Bread

As with the crackers, I will add pictures the next time I bake.  Unfortunately, I don't even have a loaf to show you a picture of right now.  When I first started making our bread a few years ago, it was a disaster.  The loaves were always heavy and crumbly, and while my husband would eat them, I wouldn't.  I hated making wheat bread!!!  Then, I found this recipe, and all my bread making woes were over, seriously...  I've never had a bad experience with this bread, I love it!!!

This recipe will make 4-5 loaves of bread.  As I've mentioned before, I have a Bosch, and it will make this bread with no problem.  If you have something smaller, like a Kitchen-Aid, do not try to make the full recipe!  I recommend that you cut it in half at least, otherwise you will have dough everywhere, you will spend a lot of time kneading by hand, and you may very well burn out the motor on your mixer.  Trust me, I've seen it happen!

Ingredients 
6 cups water
2/3 cup olive oil (or whatever type of oil you use)
2/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp. salt
3 Tbsp. yeast
10-15 cups whole wheat flour
 
Add water, oil, honey, salt, yeast, and 6-8 cups of flour to your mixer.  Mix together well.  

Begin adding more flour one cup at a time until the dough begins to pull away from the sides and bottom of the bowl.  
You can see here how it is pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
Knead about 10 minutes on speed 1 in a Bosch, I would say 2-3 on a Kitchen Aid, and it will need more time.  After 10 minutes check to see if the gluten has developed, by stretching the dough.  The dough should look smooth, and stretch well, if it breaks easily continue kneading checking every minute or two.
The dough is smooth, and elastic, and able to be stretched a few inches.
Once you are done kneading divide the dough into four or five equal portions, and form into a loaf shape.  Place the dough into a greased pan.  Let rise until double, about 1 hour.  
The dough has now doubled, and is ready for the oven.
 Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.  If you aren't sure if your bread is done, you can tap on the top of it, if it sounds hollow it's finished.  
We also use this same dough for pizza crust, cinnamon rolls, scones, and as pita.  It is very versatile, and really delicious!  If you have questions feel free to ask, and I will do the best I can to answer.

Merivale  – (February 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM)  

Abby! I love your blog! Thank you for all the information you gave me at church yesterday. I have looked up the websites you recomended and you were right, they are awesome! I am excited to read though the rest of your blog...see you next Sunday!

JDaniel4's Mom  – (February 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM)  

This sounds wonderful! I love bread!

Michelle  – (February 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM)  

Came to grab the link - your pics are awesome! So want a Bosch now!

Abby –   – (February 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM)  

Thanks, it will be the best investment you make in using your food storage!
Subject: [ahouseof] Re: http://ahouseof.blogspot.com/2012/02/no-fail-whole-wheat-bread.html

Mary  – (February 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM)  

I love your blog as well and I am going to make this bread~

Kelly Rosamond  – (April 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM)  

Made this with 2 changes that helped a lot. I have a kitchen aid instead of a Bosch, so maybe that is why the original recipe did not work as well for me, but I "halved" this recipe and used 1.5 C water and 1.5 C buttermilk for the liquids (warm). I also added 2 T of vital wheat gluten to make it less crumbly. The rest of the recipe was exactly as you posted here, but divided in half, and it worked beautifully. I was having a hard time finding a good wheat dough recipe for the kitchen aid in my transition off the bread maker, but we finally got 2 perfect loaves using your recipe with a couple of tweaks. Thanks Abby!

Abby  – (April 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM)  

My friend Kelly's comment isn't showing up, but she tweaked the recipe to use in her Kitchen Aide, so I wanted to share it with you. Here it is:
"Made this with 2 changes that helped a lot. I have a kitchen aid instead of a Bosch, so maybe that is why the original recipe did not work as well for me, but I "halved" this recipe and used 1.5 C water and 1.5 C buttermilk for the liquids (warm). I also added 2 T of vital wheat gluten to make it less crumbly. The rest of the recipe was exactly as you posted here, but divided in half, and it worked beautifully. I was having a hard time finding a good wheat dough recipe for the kitchen aid in my transition off the bread maker, but we finally got 2 perfect loaves using your recipe with a couple of tweaks. Thanks Abby!"

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP