Onions, Onions, Everywhere!!!

Back in October my father in-law gave me this.  He knows the way to my heart...seriously! 
Yup, that's 25 POUNDS of onions!  What do you do with 25 pounds of onions?  Well, if you're me, you intend to dehydrate them, and then let them sit in your cool dark garage for a few months until the sprouts start coming out of the bag, and then you decide you better get serious about it.  So, if you too would like to preserve a large quantity of onions, here's you food storage post of the week.  I dehydrated most of the onions, but I also froze quite a few of them. 
First and foremost, I would NOT recommend this project if you don't have a food processor.  I love mine, but on this day, I was also profoundly grateful for it!  I filled it at least 25 times, and I know I wouldn't have been able to chop all of this by hand in one day.
So my first step was to chop all of the onions up.  I went for a medium dice.  I know some people slice them and dehydrate them in rings, but I really prefer having them pre-chopped, despite the additional smell.  Don't worry though, somewhere around your fifth bowl full in your processor your eyes stop running and your nose starts watering...of course, everything smells like onions for several hours after, but at least you're not crying anymore.  

At this stage you may also want to call your sister in-law and tell her how cool you are, and find out that she's cooler because she's going to be giving you a new niece or nephew in nine months.  Oh wait, that will probably only happen to me, when I dehydrate onions!!  (Congratulations again my cute little sister!!!!!!)
Once they are a fairly uniform size, place the onions on your dehydrator trays in an even and thin layer.  I maxed out my dehydrator twice!  It took me two days and twelve trays to get them all dry.  When you have all of your trays filled, turn the dehydrator on at 145 degrees.  Mine took about 6 hours to dry, but depending on your humidity yours may take more or less time.  I HIGHLY recommend that you do dehydrate them in a garage, or otherwise well ventilated area that you don't live in.  Even with dehydrating in my garage, the house was still smelling a little odoriferous, and a week later my garage still smells like onion.
For the onions in the freezer I measured out 1 cup portions, and put them in these little snack sized bags to freeze.  Once they were frozen solid I put about 10 of the smaller bags into a gallon sized bag to keep the smell down.  I had a total of 21 cups to freeze.
When it was all said and done I had a #10 can full of dry onions, and I was able to refill my little container that I keep in the kitchen.  

If you decide that the onion smell just isn't the scent you went blessing your home, I highly recommend making up a batch of this yummy potpourri.  (Thanks Michelle!)  It completely eliminated the onion smell, and was really pretty to look at. 

All of a Kind Family  – (February 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM)  

Thank you for sharing. I may have to add a dehydrator to a wish list later on :)

Carebearsmart –   – (February 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM)  

You are so right about dehydrating onions outside! That's what I do, however I've only sliced them. Next time I am going to chop them the way you did. We always buy a big bag of onions for our winter storage and often freeze them in small baggies just like you did! Thanks for such great information! Teri

Abby –   – (February 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM)  

Thanks Teri, I'm glad it was helpful to you!

Subject: [ahouseof] Re: http://ahouseof.blogspot.com/2012/02/onions-onions-everywhere.html

Abby –   – (February 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM)  

It's definitely worth having! I also use it for making fruit leather, and drying herbs from my garden among other things. Of course, you can always try and borrow one from a friend as well. ;)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP