Serving Two Masters

Since Jocelyn, our Book of Mormon Forum hostess is spending February focusing on service, I thought I would look "Service" up in the index of the Book of Mormon.  

The first scripture referenced is 2 Nephi 1:7, and in it we are told that if we will "serve the Lord according to his commandments which he hath given" that the land "shall be a land of liberty unto them; wherefore they shall never be brought down into captivity; if so it shall be because of iniquity." (Emphasis added.)

I have to admit, this took my breath away.  First, I was reminded plainly that as we keep the commandments we are serving the Lord, which is amazing.  Keeping the commandments seems to simple, I love simple!  Of course simple and easy are to different things, but I digress.  

The other thing that struck me was that when the Lord spoke this, He was talking specifically about the promised land He had sent Lehi and his family to, and yet, it applies to each of us.  Don't we all want to live in liberty?  And the Lord tells us we can, simply by serving Him through commandment keeping.  We have another choice to, which is to disregard our obligation to serve Him, and disobey the commandments, which of course leads to our captivity.  

This reminder of keeping the commandments to give service to the Lord made me think again about Mosiah 2:17, which says, that when we "are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."  The service to God is really what we should be focusing on.  As I show my love for Him I develop a greater love for others, and I want to keep His commandment to "love thy neighbor as thyself", and yet truly my desire to be of service to the Father is the foundation of all other service.

What about our obligation to teach our children about service?  Mosiah 4:14-15 says, "Ye shall not suffer your children that they serve the devil...  But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another."  It's my responsibility to teach them to love and serve one another, as they walk in the ways of truth and soberness.  I need to teach them that we serve others by obeying the Father's commandment to love our neighbor, again, giving service first to Him through our acts toward others.

But what about that first part, not allowing them to serve the devil?

I found the answer in Mosiah 5:13,."For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thought and intents of his heart?"  

My children can't serve any master they don't know, and neither can I.  If we're filling our lives with service to the Father, through keeping His commandments, we won't have time to serve the devil.  

When it comes to service there are really only two choices, we can serve God, or we can serve Satan, and every day we get to decide who we will serve.  It's an important choice, because who we come to know who we serve, and we become like them.  I'm profoundly grateful that I had a chance to see that so clearly this week.

"As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."



Christy –   – (February 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM)  

Abby, I love your insights and I love how we keep getting new insights in the BOM forum! Thanks for your post. =)

Abby –   – (February 25, 2012 at 4:53 PM)  

Thanks Christy, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Subject: [ahouseof] Re: A House of...: Serving Two Masters

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP