Where Did It Come From?

Homemade yogurt, granola, and fruit sauce.
Over the last few years as I have learned more about food storage, and how to use it our diet has changed fairly significantly.  Gone are the boxed foods, and the premade treats.  At first it wasn't for any health reasons, but solely because I realized how much less it would cost me to make them at home. 

Then as I started gaining an interest in gardening I started learning more about where a lot of the food I was buying was actually coming from, and there were more changes to what we eat.  I was also becoming more aware of how cutting out the processed foods made us all so much healthier.  So, all of this is leading up to two things.

First, in all of my reading and research, until last night I had never watched Food Inc.  It's kind of surprising that I hadn't come to think of it.  Because of all that I have read, I wasn't really surprised by any of it, other than the issue with seeds all being modified.  If you haven't ever watched it, I highly recommend it!  You can stream it on Netflix.

As I was watching the movie I had my second thought, and this is where we get to the food storage part of the food storage post.  :)  

So if you're just beginning to store food, or you don't have as much as you would like, there are probably one of two things holding you back, knowing how to use it, and cost.  I will continue to post recipes to help with the first issue, but I really want to address the financial issue.  
As I watched Food Inc. last night there was a family that decided to go through a drive through, rather than go to the grocery store, because by buying from the dollar menu they could get more food than if they bought fresh produce at the store.  It broke my heart, and honestly made me a little sick to my stomach.   

I found myself thinking how profoundly grateful I was for my food storage.  Say what?

The initial costs for getting your food storage can be high, if you're not slowly acquiring the food, but once you've reached your goal, the maintenance costs are pretty minimal.  You don't run out of everything all at once, so you don't have to replace it all at once.  That means you have some extra money left in the grocery budget.

Do you see where I'm going?  

It's true that buying fresh produce is more expensive than buying prepackaged foods, and if you enter the world of organics, look out.  The sticker shock can be staggering.  But since you've got that extra money, you can buy the better quality meat, or the organic eggs, or the vegetables from the local farmer, whatever is important to you.  You're not bound to eat off the dollar menu, because you can't afford anything else, and that is a freedom that I LOVE!

So see, you're food storage is saving you money, and helping you feed your family better!  Now, if you don't know what to do with all that extra food you can buy, go check out the recipes at 100 Days of Real Food.  I came across this site earlier this week, and I want to make one of everything!  Seriously.

And just so you know that I'm a real person, who eats out sometimes, and even eats junk food every now and again, I share with you this:
While we do eat out, this specific picture is actually more of a ringing endorsement for not eating out.  The reason I originally took the picture was because I wanted photographic evidence to remind me that I found this under Bitsy's seat in the back of our van a few days ago, and we hadn't been to Sonic in at least three weeks.  It was all rock solid, but there wasn't a bit of mold, and it hadn't even started to smell.  Yeah, gross!  

So, maybe think twice before you get a corn dog, but otherwise, enjoy the freedom that comes from your food storage.  :) 

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP