The Blessings of General Conference

"Scriptures can calm an agitated soul, giving peace, hope, and a restoration of confidence in one's ability to overcome the challenges of life."

"They can become stalwart friends that are not limited by geography or calendar.  They are always available when needed.  Their use provides a foundation of truth that can be awakened by the Holy Ghost.  Learning, pondering, searching and memorizing scriptures is like filling a filing cabinet with friends, values, and truths that can be called upon anytime, anywhere in the world."

These two quotes struck my heart as I listened to Elder Richard G. Scott, one of the Lord's Apostles, speak during the last General Conference.

They were words of sweet comfort, but they were also words that prodded me to action.  Just before he ended his talk, Elder Scott shared that he had recorded the entire Book of Mormon for his children as a Christmas gift one year.  The Spirit was soft and gentle, but I knew what I needed to do.  In my notes I wrote, "Help daddy record the Book of Mormon for the children." 

The question was how to easily record them?  My husband was gone at the time, and I knew he would be gone most of this year.

At Christmas time the answer came.  My husband received that pen like device in the picture above.  The little circle on the top of the page in our family scriptures is a little recordable sticker, and that little piece of blue technology plays back everything my husband records onto that specific sticker.

He hasn't been able to record the entire Book of Mormon yet, but before he deployed he was able to go through and record the weekly recommendations for the Book of Mormon Feast from the January 2012 Friend. 

When I got out the scriptures, and the "daddy pen", as it's called around here, I saw calm come to little agitated souls.  I saw peace and hope.  I saw stalwart friends "not limited by geography or calendar."  I saw the blessings of following the promptings of the Holy Ghost.  I saw the blessings of following the counsel of one of the Lord's Apostles.  I saw joy in my children as their daddy led them in the study of scripture, scripture that will always be available to them no matter where we are, or what our circumstances may be.  Scripture that will uplift them and encourage them even when no mortal man can.  I saw the blessing of General Conference.  I saw the hand of the Lord working in our family.



Jocelyn Christensen  – (March 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM)  

Ah, this is just so sweet and wonderful! Way to go, Abby! Love love love it! You should submit your experience to the Friend!

Becky  – (March 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM)  

What a beautiful example! I love that it combines learning from our living prophets, learning from the Book of Mormon, learning from the Spirit AND learning from parents.

Christy  – (March 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM)  

Abby, your post brought tears to my eyes! How wonderful--what a beautiful application of something learned in conference!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP