Bugs, Birds, and Butterflies for Dinner, Oh My!





Our dinner to go along with "The Salamander Room" was a lot of fun.  I was inspired by the Five In a Row Cookbook that suggested a "nature themed meal", and while their recipes were good, I wanted a REALLY nature themed meal.  So here's what was on the menu.
First up was our fruit and veggie butterfly, inspired by the Friend's February Kitchen Craft.
We also had tomato lady bugs with chive antennae on cheese and crackers, also inspired by the Friend's Kitchen Crafts.
Of course a nature inspired meal wouldn't be complete without ants on a log, and since Brian brought mushrooms into his room for the salamander to play on, we added some to our spinach salad.  My father in-law also made some amazing sauteed mushrooms!  
My sweet mother in-law helped me adapt the directions in this month's Wild Animal Baby to make these adorable Robin Redbreast sandwiches.  We didn't toast ours, and they were still delicious.
We finished our meal off with some Banana Slug Splits.  These are SO simple, and SO yummy, they are one of my children's favorite snacks.

We also had a delicious rainbow fruit pizza, that I realized I didn't get any pictures of until it was completely gone.  You can kind of see it in the top picture, all the way at the top end of the pizza.  Of course, we all know that I like to adapt recipes, and this was no different, so we used kiwi instead of green grapes, and because I didn't have any cream cheese, I kept the fruit on with a little of our home made yogurt sweetened with some honey and vanilla.  It was completely gone about 10 minutes after the first slice was cut!

Obviously none of our dinner required great culinary skill, but made all together it took some time to put it together.  I definitely wouldn't have ventured to try to do it all without additional adult assistance, but it was a fun way to end our "row" and to make some special memories. 


Julie@teachinggoodeaters  – (March 30, 2012 at 12:17 PM)  

OH MY is exactly right!!! Abby, I LOVE this! Though, in a way, it kind of grosses me out, my kids would absolutely love this. Salamander Room is one of my favorite stories of all time. When I was a teacher, I used it as a prompt to talk about animal habitats. Then, each student had to research the habitat of an animal and create a "room" for that animal using a shoe box. Thanks so much for linking up- this meal embodies the idea of a "Food Adventure!!"

JDaniel4's Mom  – (March 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM)  

This is amazing! I am in awe of all the wonderful food creations you made. I pinned this post.

Gina  – (March 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM)  

Love this idea! I pinned this to use as inspiration for a family picnic soon! Thanks for sharing!

Crystal  – (March 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM)  

Wow! I make lunches for my daughter but have never thought about having a whole meal! My daughter would love this!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP