Eating With Wee Gillis

Our food adventures with Wee Gillis were so much more than what we normally do that they really needed their own post, so here we are eating our way through Scotland...

No matter where he lived every morning Wee Gillis got up and had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, so inspired by JDaniel's mom, we had oatmeal with different toppings for breakfast every morning.

We started with oatmeal that had orange marmalade added, but it wasn't a hit, so the next morning we reheated the leftovers, added some dark chocolate, courtesy of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution cookbook, and had success.

Lettie was a pretty big fan!  She was so covered in orange chocolate oatmeal we had to give her a bath right after breakfast, but that smile, that smile makes it worth it.
 We had our family favorite of plain oatmeal with dried cranberries added in.
We also had oatmeal with strawberry puree and cut up fresh strawberries, and just a touch of honey, because our strawberries weren't that sweet.
Our final oatmeal was a slow cooker oatmeal, that was so good I didn't get a picture of it.  I will share our recipe though.  (I originally got the recipe from my mother in-law, and then adapted it a little.)  I added 2 cups of steel cut oats, 6 cups of water, and a can of coconut milk to the slow cooker.  Then I added 1/3 cup of raisins, 1/2 cup of dried cranberries, two chopped up apples, a tablespoon of honey and let it cook on low all night.  It was a wonderful warm breakfast in the morning.

Friday night is always our "row" dinner, and this week I took the recipes straight out of the Five In A Row Cookbook.  We had yummy potato farls, and oatcakes, with applesauce, and some turkey bacon.  The farls are a mashed potato pancake, and the oatcakes were like an oatmeal biscuit.  The little ones loved their Scottish themed dinner.  (I read after I had decided to have it for dinner that this would have been more of a traditional breakfast, so we added bacon and had breakfast for dinner.) 
Our final meal was Scotch Broth in the slow cooker.  I adapted the recipe from "The Gourmet Slow Cooker" by Lynn Alley.  Can you tell I like to adapt recipes?  This was so easy to make, and tasty to eat that we'll definitely be having it again.  To make this tasty dish you add two lamb chops to 6 cups of water, toss in a few roughly chopped carrots and stalks of celery, a chopped onion, and let it cook on low for 6-8 hours, then add salt and pepper to taste.  We also added in the leftover potatoes and cabbage from our corned beef the night before, which made it a little heartier, and I'm pretty sure a little yummier.  :)
The final addition to our week of Scottish taste testing were scones and orange marmalade that grandma and grandpa sent in our box of wonders.  Again, they were so tasty, that this is the best picture I have.  :)
It was a little more effort to have all of the foods included in our week, but it added A LOT more family memories.  I'm glad we took the extra effort.

Michelle  – (March 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM)  

Must. find. my. FIAR. cookbook! What a fun and yummy week! And yes, worthwhile. We are having a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow and making Scottish shortbread, but that is all I have planned so far. I use a slow cooker recipe too - using oat groats. I agree, it's so nice to wake up to hot oatmeal!

Julie@teachinggoodeaters  – (March 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM)  

I may have to check out Wee Gillis just so I can inspire my kids to eat oatmeal every day for a week :) They like oatmeal, but ever since I broke them out of the "cereal rut," they've gotten spoiled into expecting something new each day... I think I created a monster!

I LOVE the picture of your daughter eating!! She looks so happy!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP