Book of Mormon Camp

What have we been doing that's kept me so far from my computer?  Well, mostly just spending time together as a family, but we've also been having lots of fun with Book of Mormon camp!  Earlier this year I decided to really immerse the children's schooling in the Book of Mormon, and I had intended to do our activities this summer, but our plans changed, and so did "camp".  Of course I had also intended on doing a weekly camp update, but that didn't happen either, so here it is in one long post. 

As a side note, many of these activities would also work great for an Old Testament camp, and in fact some of our activities came from "Old Testament Days: An Activity Guide" by Nancy I. Sanders.

Our camp was broken down into 14 days, and a Family Home Evening.  We started camp with lesson 22 from the Nursery Manual, "The Book of Mormon Teaches me about Jesus Christ".  Each day we then read from the Book of Mormon Stories, and did an activity to go along with it.  So, here we go...

Day 1: Chapters 2-5.  For our activity we made our own brass plates.  Bitsy and Manly LOVED this! 

To make our plates I got a thin piece of cardboard, and wrapped it in contact paper, then I followed the directions here to make scratch off paint (think lottery scratch off ticket), and let it dry.  Then the little ones used their wooden styluses and started recording.  My husband and I actually made the "plates" up the night before, so they were ready to go when we were done reading.
 Next, we painted our gerbil ball. 
Yup, you read it right, see...
 Because, a gerbil ball, with three wooden balls attached to the top makes a perfect Liahona
Day 2: Chapter 6  We held on to the Iron Rod...  (a dowel we had sitting around, but a broomstick would have worked well too.)  Because we were a little behind, Day 2 and 3 were combined, and our Iron Rod took us to the seashore.
Day 3: Chapters 7-9 Once we arrived at the seashore, we built ships to sail to the promised land.
After arriving we planted the seeds we had brought with us into the garden.
 
Day 4: Chapters 10-12  We read outside, since Enos prayed outside, and King Benjamin's people listened to him outside.  I had seen a lesson in the 2011 Sharing Time guide, that suggested putting food coloring in water to represent sin, then adding bleach to show how the Atonement cleanses us from sin, and thanks to Jocelyn showing me before hand that it worked, we did that while we were outside as well.
About 30 seconds after our bleach was added, I started to get a little nervous that our project wasn't going to work...
But after a little swish of the water, it went completely clear again.  The delay actually gave us time to talk about the seriousness of sin, and that it takes time to complete the repentance process.
Day 5: Chapters 13-17  Since this section was about people who had strayed from the Gospel, and then found their way back, we went on a treasure hunt, thanks to our "Sunday Savers: I Know My Savior Lives."  The book contained little "gems" with pictures of parts of the gospel that have been lost and restored, such as priesthood, prophets, scriptures, and the Holy Ghost.  I hid them gems around the house, and then as the little ones found them they brought them back to our treasure box.  Once they were all discovered we sat and talked about how important each of those things are in our lives.  I used different colored card stock for the different gems, and I think they could easily be reproduced on your own.
Day 6: Chapters 18-20  "Sunday Savers" saved us again, and we talked about missionaries and colored a missionary puzzle.  (Manly had his own boy puzzle too.)  One of my favorite parts of this was talking to them about all of the things we have to do to be good missionaries, and how if any piece is missing, the missionary isn't complete.  It was a good lesson for mommy too!    
Day 7: Chapters 22-26  We did a family service project because Ammon was a great servant.  It involved large quantities of cookies, and no pictures.  Oops.

Day 8: Chapters 27-28 We put prayer together in the proper order, with a puzzle, to avoid being like the Pharisees or the Zoramites on the Rameumptom
We also followed the directions in "Old Testament Days" and added 10 rubber bands to a hanger and made our own lyre.  Bitsy particularly loves David, so this made her very happy!
Day 9: Chapters 29-30  Since faith is like a seed, we stuffed a jar with cotton balls, and each child put a pea seed on either side of the jar.  Then we watered our cotton, and we've been watching our symbolic faith grow ever since.
Day 10: Chapters 31-35  We decided to join Captain Moroni, and made a title of liberty out of a dowel (remember the Iron Rod?)  and one of Manly's old vests.
Day 11: Chapters 36-40  We put on the shields we made, and got out our pom-pom poppers, because we were ready for battle.
The little ones built a block wall, and we tried to shoot Samuel off the top.  If you make the poppers, I found that the best way was to cut out the bottom of the cup.  If you cut the outside of the cup at all the balloon squishes it and deforms the cup, making your popper completely ineffective.
Lettie got in on the action by cleaning up our pompoms, which was good, because these poppers really have a range on them.  I definitely don't recommend using marshmallows inside!
Day 12: Chapters 41-47  Because these chapters discuss the sacred experience of Christ coming to the Nephites, I didn't feel that it was appropriate to have a "craft" or activity, so we watched "The Testaments of One Fold and One Shepherd". 

Day 13: Chapters 50-52  I had originally intended to make walnut boats, since the Jaredites boats were "tight like a dish", but I never made it to the store to get the walnuts, so instead we read hiding in a cave, like Ether.
Day 14: Chapters 47-48 and 53-54  Our final activity was to hide the brass plates, like Mormon and Moroni.  Can you see them?  (This is also where I show you the AWESOME rain gutter book shelves my husband put up for me when he got home!!)
The plates were hiding behind "The Lorax" and hid several other places around the house as well.  The little ones LOVED searching for them.
Whew, are you still with me?!  We had a lot of fun, and I hope some of the ideas will be fun for you and you little ones. 

Of course, nothing would be complete without food, but that will be a short post in a few days.

Shelley  – (April 27, 2012 at 1:59 AM)  

I just found your blog a few days ago and I just want to thank you so much for your blog/posts. It is SO inspiring! It has been so helpful! I will finish up B4FIAR this summer and will start FIAR in September with my 5 year old. I will be using your blog as a main resource.

Also, I have been very grateful for all of your posts about the gospel...I can't wait to implement as many as I can. I will definitely be using your ideas in this post.

Thanks again and I eagerly await your next post!

Shelley  – (April 27, 2012 at 2:28 AM)  

I thought I'd give you a bit more background...just because I guess. I am a convert of 9 years and have always been very passionate about the gospel and became even more so once I had children. However, I get very peculiar looks when I bring up the daily scripture reading and correlating activities I do with my boys (2 and 4.5).

So finding your blog has been a true BLESSING because I have always tried and wanted to make the gospel as regular a part of our lives as anything else my children do (the best example I always say is I want them to be just as likely to pick up their scriptures to read as they are to pick up a Dr. Seuss or playing pretend Nephi as they are to play Peter Pan).

Anyway, thanks again!

Jocelyn Christensen  – (April 27, 2012 at 9:48 AM)  

Everything looks great!!! Wonderful job!!!

Jennifer Ricker  – (April 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM)  

our ward is doing a vacation book of mormon school this summer and it's going to be all about 1 nephi. we have been wondering how to do the 'brass plates' and this is great! thanks for sharing:)

Abby  – (April 27, 2012 at 1:11 PM)  

Shelley, I'm so glad you've found inspiration here! I hope you will love FIAR, it has been a wonderful experience for our family, and it is very easy to include the Gospel with it. We've had Mary Poppins in the backyard one minute, and the next Samuel the Lamanite. :) You're welcome to email me anytime.

Abby  – (April 27, 2012 at 1:12 PM)  

Jennifer, I'm glad the plates were helpful. I had thought about lots of different things, and then this popped into my mind at the last minute, so we changed plans, and it was a lot of fun!

Dolly  – (July 12, 2012 at 3:44 AM)  

I found you off Pinterest and LOVE your B of M ideas!!!! I'm planning my son's adventure starting now:) Thanks for the great lessons.

Ashley Schulthies  – (August 29, 2012 at 4:16 PM)  

What a neat idea! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous –   – (June 25, 2013 at 1:54 AM)  

This is awesome. I will do it with my kids. thanks for sharing :)

Mother of 2  – (October 30, 2014 at 2:32 PM)  

Thank you posting these ideas with such detail. you are much appreciated!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP