Week In Review: Easter Pt. 2


I'm a little behind in my "Week In Review" posts, but we had so much fun, that I really want to record it when I plan next year.  I'm sorry I'm so late with our final week of Easter activities, but as usual, just consider it early preparation for next year.  :)

Each day this week we did daily scripture reading from this chart, so we could learn more about how Christ spent the last week in His mortal ministry.  We also put up several visual timelines. 

Manly and Bitsy put this one up in our living room using cutouts from the picture packet of the Primary 2 Manual.  I originally printed these off of a website somewhere several years ago, and if I can find it I will add the link.  (If you know where I can find it, PLEASE, let me know!)  This was our Family Home Evening lesson, and they taught me, which was a lot of fun.  I was impressed with how much they could tell me about the story, and they were pleased to realize how much they knew as well. 
Each evening after we did our daily scripture reading we put up another timeline in our kitchen, using pictures from the Gospel Art Kit.  This has been a tradition for the last four years in our home, and is one of the children's most anticipated Easter events.
We learned about rebirth, and how we can all live again because of Christ, and then did a little nature art study.  I painted Bitsy and Manly's arm and fingers to make a hand print tree, and little Lettie, decided to be a tree too.  Sorry, the picture was to cute for me to pass up. 
They used water colors to finish painting their trees, and Bitsy used an ink pad and made fingerprint leaves as well.
We did our traditional Resurrection Eggs, but with a muffin tin twist.
We made resurrection cookies.  Mackenzie's recipe is identical to ours.  This year I made a small change, in getting all the ingredients out and pre-measured before I started with the little ones.  This made the entire process go much more smoothly!
This picture really made me laugh.  They are "smiting" the pecans, and because we just finished reading about the Jewish captivity in Egypt, when I told them to smite the pecans, they knew just what to do, and went at it with a will.  They were smacking so hard, you can only see the blur of the wooden spoons. 
We finished our empty tomb.  We followed Montserrrat's directions, almost exactly...  We used only wheat, and skipped the grass seed.  For informational purposes, we started ours two weeks before Easter, and it needed to be trimmed once before Easter.  (She also has good directions on making handprint lilies, that we didn't get to, but that I think would have made a pretty "bouquet" with our palms from last week.)
We typically talk about the parable of the Ten Virgins sometime during the week before Easter, and this year we watched this video to go along with our lesson.
Our Jerusalem dinner was delayed a little, but we did finally have it.  We had baklava, fresh fruit and vegetables, pitas with humus, cheese and crackers, and our annual lamb and barley stew.  (This is super easy to make.  Just brown off a pound of lamb, with an onion and three cloves of garlic.  Add the barley and lamb mixture to a 2 quart casserole dish, with 6 cups of chicken broth, and bake covered for two hours.  It's delicious!)
Our final activity was making resurrection rolls, which again, are super easy.    We made them on Saturday night and refrigerated the uncooked rolls, and then baked them Sunday morning for a quick Easter breakfast. 

To make them, I mixed up a half batch of my wheat bread dough to make rolls.  Instead of cooking them like regular rolls, we flattened the ball of dough out, and added a marshmallow, and then wrapped it up.  Kind of like pigs in blankets, only marshmallows, and you want to make sure the marshmallow is completely covered.  After all of the rolls had a marshmallow in the middle, I brushed them with some melted butter, and sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top before covering them and putting them in the refrigerator overnight.  In the morning I just put them in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes, and when you bite into them, they are hollow inside, just like the tomb. 
The little ones were thrilled with the object lesson, and it was a perfect start to our day.  As Manly tells me, "It's empty, because Jesus is alive!"

Rina@BentoSchoolLunches  – (April 18, 2012 at 8:51 PM)  

What a great blog, I enjoy reading it :)

Abby  – (April 18, 2012 at 11:40 PM)  

Rina, thanks so much for the compliment. I hope you'll drop by again soon.

Mary Prather  – (April 19, 2012 at 5:33 PM)  

What a great week! So many fun and memory making activities. Your family is blessed!

Abby  – (April 19, 2012 at 5:43 PM)  

Mary, Thank you! The memory making is really the most important part of what we do!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP