Week In Review: Preparing for Easter

Not long after we were married my husband bought me "A Christ-Centered Easter" by Janet and Joe Hales.  This little book contains daily family activities for the week proceeding Easter, and has shaped the way Easter is celebrated in our home.  We have so enjoyed making our Savior Jesus Christ the focus of our Easter holiday, that this year we decided to make our celebration last for two weeks instead of just one.

We began our week by using the Easter lesson in "Behold Your Little Ones", which was a great review and brought a lot of excitement into our home.  The children immediately got excited about Easter and started Manly kept telling me, "Jesus died, but now he's alive!"  It was a joy to know that he knows this, and that it makes him so happy!

Later in the week we played the Resurrection Match game from "Sunday Savers Sharing Fun: I Know My Savior Lives."  To play there were two sets of cards, one on the right side of the table, and one on the left.   

Both sets of cards contained the same picture, but each one had a different part of a story that depicted how all physical infirmities will be healed in the resurrection.  One story was of a grandpa who lost his hearing, but in the resurrection his hearing would be restored because he will be made whole.  There were ten different stories about different injuries or physical limitations, and I think the game could easily be reproduced with stories from your own family to teach the concept even more effectively.  (We had a lot of discussion on our Grandpa's having their hair in the resurrection.)  :)  
We also went on an Easter treasure hunt, finding items that helped depict the crucifixion, such as a nail, white cloth, a stone, and a flower to represent new birth, we also found Gethsemane on a map.  After all of our treasures were found the last clue led the children back to the kitchen where they found this covered basket.  
I told them that they could give me what they had collected, and in exchange they could have what was in the covered basket.  They somewhat reluctantly agreed, but were happy they had made the decision when they uncovered it and found their crayon rolls, and fabric alphabet and numbers.
I explained to them that we can choose whether to give Christ our lives or not, but that if we will the reward is far greater than anything we can imagine.  Those faces remind me of the blessing He has given me in giving me the chance to be a mother. 
With new crayons in hand I gave them each a sheet of paper and suggested they draw a picture of something to do with the last week of Christ's life.  Bitsy drew this little picture, and when I asked her to tell me about it she told me it was the stone in front of the empty tomb.  I love these sweet little moments. 
(In case you're wondering about the letters, I've seen them on a lot of blogs, and REALLY wanted to make some, but I realized a few weeks ago, that it just wasn't going to happen, so I gratefully purchased them from One BLESSED mommie on Etsy.  She donates her profits to charity, and she did a fabulous job!)  Lettie was pretty thrilled with them!
We ended this week by making palm leaves after reading Matthew 21:1-11.  These were very simple to make.  I just cut out an oblong shape on some green scrapbook paper for the leaves, and cut strips of cardboard for the branches.  The little ones cut around the edges to give the palms some added dimension, and then we glued the branches on, with a little extra packing tape for stability. 
After they finished waving them around the house, and shouting "Hosanna" on Palm Sunday we put them in a vase on our kitchen table for the week.
This week we have two projects that I want to share about in advance, in case you're looking for additional Easter ideas.  The first is our Love One another poster.  All week long we will be writing things we love about one another on our poster, so we can read it on Easter Sunday.  To make mine I just taped four pieces of scrapbook paper together on the back, and then put it up on the wall.
Our other project has become a family tradition.  As we read each morning about the daily activities of Christ's last week in His mortal ministry we put up a picture that represents that event.  It is a beautiful pictorial reminder of the love of our Savior.  Since today was our first day, I don't have any pictures of our wall yet, but I will share one next week, and if you need pictures, you can find some in this article in the April 2011 Friend.

We have had such a wonderful time already, and we are all excited for this coming week.  I hope you and your family are filled with joy as we all remember the the blessings of our Savior's atonement and resurrection!

bwrightbrizee  – (April 2, 2012 at 7:43 PM)  

What a great start to Holy Week!!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP