Love Multiplies


Some people collect stamps, or spoons, but I collect moms.  :)  As I've grown, and as we've moved back and forth across the country I've gathered Titus 2 moms to lead and guide me along the way.  Today's guest post comes from one of my very first "extra" moms.  Betty carefully and quietly taught me in the Gospel, in addition to caring for her other children (those rowdy ones pictured above).  She and her husband always opened their home to me, and now they have opened it to my husband and children as well.  Their family was an example to me of joyous devotion to the Father, and I hope she will be an encouraging joyous example to you as well!  They also have some good wrestling tips.  :)

A new first-time mother once confessed that she could not possibly have another child.  I was surprised and gave her the opportunity to elaborate upon her feelings.  She said sadly, “My heart is so full of love for this baby, I don’t think I have any left over for another child.”

You can imagine my relief as I explained my theory: that we don’t “use up” or “run out” of love, but that as we love others, our ability to love multiplies, while our hearts expand to hold our love for each of them without diminishing the love for a single one.
I have had the love of 2 mothers on this earth: I grew up with my adopted mother, clueless that my birthmother watched from nearby.  My 2 mothers each made personal sacrifices which taught me to respect the role of motherhood and rejoice in it.

As a young mother, often overwhelmed by the responsibility of having a tiny being [or 2 or 3!] completely dependent upon ME … I wondered how Heavenly Mother handled things. WWHMD ?  She must be the epitome of charityI decided that as an eternal being, Heavenly Mother has an eternal [inexhaustible!] supply of charity. 

"And I am filled with charity, which is everlasting love; wherefore, all children are alike unto me; wherefore, I love little children with a perfect love; and they are all alike and partakers of salvation."

As an “immortal being having a mortal experience,” I find comfort in this counsel: 

"And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace"  Doctrine & Covenants 88:125,
and hope in this: 
"And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity, shall cover the multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8  [which you will notice reads: “the multitude” rather than “a multitude” … BIG difference!]

May we all discover the daily joys of our eternal motherhood!


Betty Gish, Mother of 4, Grandma to 14, (and I will add) Example to MANY.

Motherhood has its own reward … Grandchildren !!!

Shannon Gish  – (May 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM)  

Betty is also an amazing sister-in-law. What a wonderful tribute to an incredible woman. Will visit back here often.

Abby  – (May 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM)  

Thanks for coming by Shannon. You're right, she really is an incredible lady!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP