Summer Fun

Is your family as excited about summer as ours is?!  Bitsy has been asking me for weeks if she can swim in her little pool, but it's just been to cold... So, we decided to have a little outdoor fun that wasn't quite as wet, and made sponge bombs.  I intended to make these last year after seeing them on Counting Coconuts, and just never got around to it...  I'm glad we got to it this year!       
To make your own, get a few packages of sponges from the store, and cut each sponge in quarters length wise.  (Then if you just can't help but make it educational have your children sort all the sponges by color.)
Of course, after you've done that your baby will decide that it really wasn't that fun to have them in piles and will mix them back up for you.  :)

After all of the sponges are in quarters pick out eight strips and bundle them together.  Put a zip tie in the middle, and fasten it as tight as you can with a pear of pliers, then use the pliers to twist off the extra tie.  If you twist it instead of cutting the end of the zip tie isn't so sharp.  House of Hepworths suggests making tying them with fishing line, but we had zip ties on hand, and they were really easy.  (She has a great tutorial, with more pictures.)
 
Once assembled, add the sponge bombs to a bucket of water, or your bath tub, and start tossing!  Since I try to avoid my camera and water meeting, we don't have any pictures of the tossing, but maybe I'll be brave sometime this summer and get some. 

Michelle  – (May 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM)  

We've made these several times over the years (from the book Kid Concoctions). They are much fun! Thanks for sharing! We are having a water play day for homeschool P.E. and these would be perfect and I hadn't thought to use them. I think they would be easier than water balloons. :)

Kelley @ Miss Information  – (May 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM)  

I love this, I hope you will come and share it on my first link party " Summer Bucket List Ideas" http://www.missinformationblog.com/2012/05/summer-bucket-list.htm

Abby  – (May 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM)  

Kelly, I'm glad you enjoyed them, thanks for the invite.

Hubba  – (May 24, 2012 at 10:22 PM)  

I love it! I'm a new follower from a blog hop, I would love if you followed me back at http://iheartpears.blogspot.com

Mackenzie  – (May 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM)  

These look like so much fun! I know our boys would love to make these. Thank you for posting on Saturday Show and Tell, I hope that you'll be back this week.
-Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

Mackenzie  – (May 25, 2012 at 10:51 PM)  

You've been featured on this week's Saturday Show & Tell! :) Thanks again for sharing!
Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP